Z71 Tahoe 2021 resale/trade in value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gman2890

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Z71 Tahoe. I am expecting my new Yukon Ultimate at the end of the month.

I love my truck but it lacks some of the features I want for daily driving.

Would prefer to trade it in with the dealer but I really want fair value. I understand that I would get more in a private sale, but I am willing to take a little less for the convenience.

Any thoughts on fair trade in value v. private sale or Carvana (or similar).

Excellent condition with about 21K miles.

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You may get more at the dealer than you think. The market for the used ones is kind of crazy but is starting to come down a bit and expected to come down more, later in the year.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Z71 Tahoe. I am expecting my new Yukon Ultimate at the end of the month.

I love my truck but it lacks some of the features I want for daily driving.

Would prefer to trade it in with the dealer but I really want fair value. I understand that I would get more in a private sale, but I am willing to take a little less for the convenience.

Any thoughts on fair trade in value v. private sale or Carvana (or similar).

Excellent condition with about 21K miles.

Thanks

try KBB trade in value.

I've traded in three late model vehicles in past 60-days into 2 GM dealers on new vehicles, they valued my trades at middle-road "KBB trade-in" pricing (I performed KBB search before going into dealers).

Also --> if you trade, you should only pay sales tax on the difference after you subtract your z71 trade value from the price of the new Ultimate. So depending on which state you register your vehicles, you might LOOSE that sales tax value if you private-party sell your z71.

Last edited:

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some states allow a private vehicle sale to offset the sales tax owed - just have to fill out a form and usually there is a 45-60 day timeframe on either side of the purchase of the vehicle

as far as the value of your 21 Z71, it's simply going to come down to if your dealer thinks they can turn it quickly or not. I wouldnt expect them to step up on trade in value because they know you are going to buy the new one anyway...

we sold a 22 Z71 with 10k+ miles a few months ago...got lowballed by the majority of dealers as most "asked what we were wanting" and rattled off the MSRP...mainly because the low end of trade in value was still a couple grand over sticker...had offers that ranged from $56k - $68k...(priced it out and it's now worth around $61-63k)

doesnt take more than 15 mins to try all the online car buying services...carvana/kbb instant cash offer/carmax/givemethevin.com/vroom/etc as it only takes about 2 mins to get a quote from each one...not sure how competitive they are now with the down turn in the used car market.......most new car dealers have places online where you can submit your vehicle info and they'll give you a quote as well (sold our 21 Yukon this way)...one last option would be to look up any premium used car dealers and see if they're interested (sold a dually in Feb this way)

I'd be surprised if you were able to get more than the average kbb trade in value using very good condition

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoes still have decent TIV’s. I got $71K for TIV with 16K miles and the normal 5.3 Rest of equipment is normal load out for Z71……2nd row buckets, moonroof, rear seat media, Luxury etc…….

I would try dealer first and. You didnt specify what region you are in but remember still winter and 4WD will be used. Even if not in snow cities the Z71 is popular for off-road enthusiast.

2021 model with 21K miles seems relatively low And depending on the load out you should do decent. KBB is a reference and some dealers come in closer than others.

If you have another vehicle, try using that and keeping miles down. Until that keep the Z71 clean and maintained. Most reputable dealers won’t even think about appraisal, credit, financing until the new vehicle is on property or have a pretty good time frame for arrivel…ETA to dealer within a couple of weeks. You could get appraisal early but I wouldnt risk it. I tried that the the vehicle stayed “In Transit” until the 30 day financing approval expired. Vehicle actually arrived at 28 days but dealer sold from underneath me. That actually worked out better for me, I got two trim levels up, more equipment, newer model year and lower APR for the same payment amount…with $0 dealer “Market Adjustment”

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a number from your dealer, it should be in the middle of kbb (use your vin to get the value, that part is important). If you want more sell it privately; if you are happy with the number trade it to the dealer.

At the end of the day, any number from your dealer has meat on it, you just need to decide if it's worth the effort.

OP
OP
gman2890

gman2890

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Yes, there is a tax benefit for trade-in. If I get the mid of KBB, I would take it. I will use that as a gauge.

They will sell my truck in one day. They would be foolish not to take it.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Yes, there is a tax benefit for trade-in. If I get the mid of KBB, I would take it. I will use that as a gauge.

They will sell my truck in one day. They would be foolish not to take it.

I thought the same thing.

Z71 with luxury package and buckets MSRP $66k - sold it for $68k when book was showing $69-73K. It sat for 3 months. Interest rates are killing the overall market right now. If people thought 4-5% was bad, I'd hate to see what they think now...credit unions are the only ones that are still under 4%. Also takes a specific individual to buy a 2yr old vehicle that would probably be priced within 10% of a new one.

get what you can and hope they are fair in their offer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98