Z71 Suburban Camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NOSOK

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No changes to the build itself but I did reinstall one of the 2nd row seats a few months ago. With the camper folded up there's plenty of room for 2nd row seats, with the seat folded (as pictured) there's plenty of sleeping room.

tIa1YhB.jpg

If I were to do this build again, I would probably just make a removable shelf with storage drawers underneath and fixed legs instead of the hinged shelf and folding legs. Reason being is we don't use this as a camper nearly as much as expected and all the moving pieces can be a little annoying with the squeaking and rattling. Plus a removable shelf would offer even more storage in the 2nd row area when we're not camping (which is the vast majority of the time). I'm happy with the rear platform although there's been a few times where an extra 6" clearance would make transporting large items easier. I wouldn't

bobsburban

Reaction score
I really like the hinged shelf solution, rattle as it may, as we'll have to keep the 2nd row seats in the truck with the grandkids going with us. Nice job!

Even so, with one of those damn Nascar roll-cage baby seats it's going to be a pain until the little guy gets considerably larger. Question for you, though - how were your door mouldings attached? Mine aren't falling off like yours. I'm just wondering what's involved in yanking them off before I ruin a paint job underneath them. Thanks!

Edit: May have just solved my own problem. I could build the platform so the hinged portion is divided at the hinges. Since he won't need the full length of the platform for a few years, I could just flip up the one rear seat that doesn't have a car seat in it to give me room and leave his side with his car seat alone. Once he's big enough for a simple booster seat, all those issues go away.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this idea out there.. Give you a bit more space, and doesnt effect fuel mileage...

ydyEof35LCJz_S1E2xIh1Fwr8xwIrfvcasXA=w1000-h750-no.jpg

There are also hi-top conversions.. Something like this. This is on a van, but they do make them for Suburbans. These do affect fuel mileage.

Wayne Gregory 30 super camper.jpg