Z71 Stock Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

318hoe

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 2005 Tahoe z71, and over the past year I've noticed the wheels (which are stock) are pretty scratched up and don't look the best. I was thinking of replacing them, but I don't want to pay that right now. Has anyone tried painting these style wheels before? How did it turn out? If anyone has, please post some pictures because I'm on the fence whether to or not. I'll try to attach a picture of the tahoe to show what wheels I'm talking about in case there was more than one design. Thanks in advance!

IMG_1487.JPG

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not attempted to paint stock wheels in a long time but if i recall the biggest hurdle is to get all the original clear off the rims. then smooth out any minor blemishes and scuff up the surface for adhesion. so besides the remaining clearcoat patience would be the next challenge. take your time to get a good even coat in layers dont try to cover it all in one shot. you have alot of holes and edges to try to cover evenly.

OP
OP
318hoe

318hoe

Reaction score
Has anyone redone the clearcoat on wheels like these before? I was looking at them a minute ago up close, and the main problem is the clear coat came off, as well as the typical curb rash you'd expect after 13 years or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf