Z71 early release suspension vs Future air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eniam17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally saw a z71 and high country on the lot, both look a lot better in person than in pics. I went from disliking the z71 front end to really liking it - it looks mean straight on in person. Anyway the current z71 suspension all I can gather is it sits a little higher than a stock Tahoe . And at some point they’re going to add adjustable air suspension as an option - correct ? Does anyone know the actually specs of the new z71 current non - air suspension (struts ) vs the standard Tahoe suspension in terms of lift height, shock type, etc?

I’m very disappointing they don’t offer captains chairs and the 6.2 in the z71 . I don’t need all the chrome and fluff is the 80k high country

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally saw a z71 and high country on the lot, both look a lot better in person than in pics. I went from disliking the z71 front end to really liking it - it looks mean straight on in person. Anyway the current z71 suspension all I can gather is it sits a little higher than a stock Tahoe . And at some point they’re going to add adjustable air suspension as an option - correct ? Does anyone know the actually specs of the new z71 current non - air suspension (struts ) vs the standard Tahoe suspension in terms of lift height, shock type, etc?

I’m very disappointing they don’t offer captains chairs and the 6.2 in the z71 . I don’t need all the chrome and fluff is the 80k high country

I'm under the impression that it already has an adjustable suspension and can adjust on the fly for off-road conditions.

OP
OP
E

Eniam17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought so too, but the one I saw did it have air bag suspension I crawled around and looked . It also didn’t list it on the window sticker it just listed normal suspension although I can’t remember exactly what it said

OP
OP
E

Eniam17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I guess air suspension is optional based on that video. That party of the trail where it got stuck wasn’t impressive !

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the air suspension is currently in limited distribution. The air suspension will raise the vehicle an additional 3” to a total of 4” in 4wd mode. I was originally planning on waiting for the air suspension thinking it might be able to be run in normal 2wd.

My Z71 may be slightly higher, but still good still use another 1” to level. I was going to add a 2” level when I put my bigger tires on but it was not needed to clear them. The 2” leveled Z71’s I have seen look too high in front. The wheel wells are bigger than past years and allow for a larger tire. I am running a 33.5” tire with no level or rubbing.

CC22BB60-AA2C-49A3-A163-FC7BCF1FF19D.jpeg

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the air suspension is currently in limited distribution. The air suspension will raise the vehicle an additional 3” to a total of 4” in 4wd mode. I was originally planning on waiting for the air suspension thinking it might be able to be run in normal 2wd.

My Z71 may be slightly higher, but still good still use another 1” to level. I was going to add a 2” level when I but my bigger tires on but it was not needed. The 2” leveled Z71’s I have seen look too high in front. The wheel wells are bigger than past years and allow for a larger tire. I am running a 33.5” tire with no level or rubbing.

View attachment 256077

Ohh yeah, I forgot about what you told me earlier! LOL Truck looks great btw!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the air suspension is currently in limited distribution. The air suspension will raise the vehicle an additional 3” to a total of 4” in 4wd mode.

View attachment 256077

Unless I'm wrong, this is not necessarily true... The air suspension has the ability to raise the suspension from normal height 2" or lower it 2" for entry/exit. So you are actually only gaining 2" of height from standard height. The vehicle can be driven in the +2" mode up to a certain MPH, but can not be driven in the -2" entry exit mode....

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could be right, the information I got was from the dealership and they had not actually seen one.

Are you saying the vehicle can be operated in 2wd in the higher ride height or at certain speeds "only" in 4wd?

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m completely guessing but I think in either 2 or 4WD you can only use the raised position at say up to 25 mph... any thing over that speed and it reverts to std height. So you don’t over stress the suspension system by banging the top stops hard over ruts At higher speeds...