z71 coil vs non z71 coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWITCH101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nevermind....question answered.

Last edited:

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red, dont mean to hijack your thread but since we are all talking about z71 coils vs. nonz71 coils, I thought maybe you guys could help me answer my question:

I will install ford keys in the front with C153 bils, and I want to add 1-1.5" rear spacers with bils in the rear. I was told that 6682-H8 is the correct rear bils shock, but that I would need to switch out my LS OEM coil and replace it with the z71 rear coil, otherwise my rear will be sliding all over the place. Does anyone have any input on whether this is correct? Or will I be ok with the 6682-H8 bils on my LS rear coils?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have autoride or nivomat yes. bilstein also sells a spring to give you ride height and payload back. i removed my nivomats for bilstein HDs and rode on the stock spring for 2 months. was horrible. threw the bilstein springs and what a diff.

got the bags in the other night. nice difference. lifted the rear a little too. even with just 5 psi. i like em alot. recovers much quicker from the bouncyness. went with the firestone bags. will have real results after this weekends road trip.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
red, thanks for the info. Yeah, I called Bilstein today and he said the same thing. I would have to switch the coils if it's nivomat. So now I gotta go check tomorrow. He also said something about losing an 1.5" after switching the coils? I'm not sure what he was talking about, so any ideas?

Good to know bils offers an alternative. Mind if I ask what it cost you for a pair of the bils spring, and a part # or something?

Thanks

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oli, You will not lose anything if you add Zcoils if anything you might gain .5". Don't know bout the bil coils but the Zcoils from the dealer were $100 per. You can probably find some cheaper maybe even on here from someone bagging their hoe.

Glad the load bags helped red!!

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on Joe, thanks! It's been raining out so I haven't checked for nivomats. I'm 99% sure I dont have them, so that'll save me some money

Edit: Wrong! I got nivomats. Gonna research some prices on coils and check out this load assist bag stuff. sounds good for towing

Last edited:

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapping in some z71 coils to replace my 12 year old tired ones. was wondering if anyone knew if each coil was side specific? i remember someone saying that the side with the gas tank is a different coil but my guess is they are the exact same. my 6" rcd already uses a 5.5" tall bolt in coil spacer so adding another spacer was out of the question and i really only want about .5-1" of more lift in the rear.

will be doing the swap sometime soon and i'll get pics of everything. ride height before/after and comparison shots of the 2 coils next to each other. although my old one will be a very used coil so it might not be as accurate at can be.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
The coils are not side specific and should add about .5" to the rear. The heights unloaded should be around 17.5" (z71) and 15" (stock). Thats my rough estimate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium