z71 coil vs non z71 coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, if that the case im sold.

mass, ill be in touch when i get a little extra for those springs.

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your chevy dealership they will confirm the payload rating difference.

Sir-Lancelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my Z71 springs installed on my LT today, without the 2" spacers the height would have been close to the stock LT height. They will maybe raise your hoe .5". This mod is not for height, this mod is for increased payload. The Z71 coil springs are rated 750lbs more each than the LT. I tow a pretty heavy trailer on a regular basis so that is the reason I did the swap.

Mind if I ask how much they set you back and if you have a part number for the Z71 springs?
I could use the extra height as well as the additional load capacity for my uncontrollable audio addiction. I have 3" coil spacers and i am still 1/2" low in the back. lol
:)

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly they were 100 a piece from the Chevy dealership. My wife works for a Chrysler dealership and I guess because they order parts from each other all the time I was able to get them for 70 a piece. I don't have the part number but call your local dealership tell them your looking for Z71 Rear Coil springs and they can pull it up in about a min. You need to lose some weight in your rear man!!! LOL!

They won't lift your truck much at all. I just put Air Lift bags in and they are great! I can air them up and my 6000lb Trailer doesn't bring the rear down a bit. They are 80 bucks and I bet they solve your problem for half the cost of the coils.

Sir-Lancelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly they were 100 a piece from the Chevy dealership. My wife works for a Chrysler dealership and I guess because they order parts from each other all the time I was able to get them for 70 a piece. I don't have the part number but call your local dealership tell them your looking for Z71 Rear Coil springs and they can pull it up in about a min. You need to lose some weight in your rear man!!! LOL!

They won't lift your truck much at all. I just put Air Lift bags in and they are great! I can air them up and my 6000lb Trailer doesn't bring the rear down a bit. They are 80 bucks and I bet they solve your problem for half the cost of the coils.

Thanks buddy!

I actually have some of the airlift bags and had them in when I had the 1.5" spacers, but I was hesitant to put them in with the 3" spacers. I think a slightly taller, stiffer spring could help in the back of mine if only for the ride. Lots of weight back there and even my fat ass up front cant level it back out. Ha Ha.

Your truck looks nice bro and thanks again !

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bags wont hurt just because you have a bigger spacer. All they do is create resistance inside the spring. I have 2" spacers and put 60 -70 PSI in them to keep a 6k lb trailer from lowering the rear of my ride. I doubt you have 6k lbs in the back end of your hoe and you wont need to fill them with that much pressure.

OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to drag up this thread again. one more quick question about z71 suspension.

the rear shocks are regular standard shocks? no autolift or autoride or anything? that would explain the added load capacity if so.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
no... the Z71 shocks are Z71 shocks... the Z71 title refers to the shock. Z71 shocks only come on the Z71, hence the name.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

they are a heavier duty shock then the standard tahoe shock (Z66 or some shit like that)...

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z55- Had the Auto ride suspension w/ auto leveling option that made up for the weaker LS rear coil springs that were used. Auto leveling used Air shocks(rear only) and a compressor with a level sensor when weight was added to the rear and it lowered the compressor kicked in and added air to the shocks until the rear end became level. This is the only reason the Z55 was able to handle a little more than the LS. Auto ride was just for auto dampening with electronic dampening shocks controlled by a computer.

Z71- Was an off road package that had rear coil springs that were rated 750lbs ea. more than the LT or LS springs. It used regular shocks but they only deal with the dampening of a vehicle. The springs are what made the payload difference in the Z71.

Ty prob knows better than I about the shocks, but as he said they are just shocks. Shocks handle the dampening of a vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ty - i guessed i didnt phrase the question correctly. i just wanted to make sure they were nivomat style shocks or anything like that. which was answered. thank you.

i understand what dampens and what take payload. just wasnt sure what type of suspension the z71 had. standard style shock, nivomat type, etc.

thanks again guys. just ordered my air spring last night. still debating the z71 shock. ill look into it more after the bags are in. taking a trip in a few weeks. 4 people, lots of luggage and a 200lb dog. lets see if the bags will stabalize my rolley bouncy ride and give me my ride height back after she is all loaded down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11