Z71 and Nivomat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9C1C

Reaction score
I picked up a set of rear Z71 springs but haven't gotten new 5100's yet to replace the Nivomats that are on my Yukon right now. Is there any downside to putting in the Z71 springs for now until I get the Bilsteins?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of rear Z71 springs but haven't gotten new 5100's yet to replace the Nivomats that are on my Yukon right now. Is there any downside to putting in the Z71 springs for now until I get the Bilsteins?
I don't think it's going to hurt anything.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's going to hurt anything.

I agree. It's not going to be the Premium Smooth Ride anymore and may ride a bit stiff, but I have to think it won't be an issue. Especially if you're on the verge of pulling the Nivomats.

How are the Nivomats? Are they in good shape? Mileage on them? Occasionally people here are looking for used ones in good condition.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
I agree. It's not going to be the Premium Smooth Ride anymore and may ride a bit stiff, but I have to think it won't be an issue. Especially if you're on the verge of pulling the Nivomats.

How are the Nivomats? Are they in good shape? Mileage on them? Occasionally people here are looking for used ones in good condition.
Thanks - I bought this Yukon last spring with 199k and I have 209k on it now. I'm going to assume the Nivomats are original and I haven't checked them out yet. The PO had put a leveling kit up front so my front end is just ever so slightly higher than the back, and I figured why not go the Z71/5100 route since they're a little less than new Nivomats.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The front shocks for Premium Smooth Ride are somewhat different from the standard shocks, FYI.

You can test the Nivomats to verify functionality by 1) measuring the height of both sides of the rear bumper; and 2) loading up 300 lbs or so of weight in the back and measuring the squat height; then 3) drive a few blocks to see if the Nivomats bring up the rear end to an acceptable level. The truck must be driven a little for the Nivomats to adjust.

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
I appreciate the tips on the Nivomat check. On the front shocks, what is the implication of the premium smooth ride? I've read that with lift or leveling kit that the longer shock (ie the 5100's) are a good way to go. Is it better to stick with stock?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about lifts or leveling, but you can keep or change the PSR front shocks. They're different from standard suspension shocks but they're not Nivomats. I suppose they have somewhat of a different compression factor, and probably a slightly softer ride than non PSR shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu