Z55 front shocks bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My update on this, I cannot find anything in the Tech 2 on the health of the suspension, I will chalk that up to user error at this time.

Secondly, I'm trying to locate the front strut cartridges, based on my VIN, the 2 dealers I called gave me: 19420494 and they also verified I have the computer controlled suspension.

Are these correct? Searching these parts I don't see the electrical connector at the top.

This is a pic of my front strut, safe bet these are OE with 120K miles....ouch.

View attachment 398348

I purchased this with 92K on the clock and these have been on my to do list.
That part number from the dealers is not for the Z55 suspension.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That part number from the dealers is not for the Z55 suspension.

Thanks.

My only guess, is this Yukon was originally sold to the State Dept, could be why it has the 2nd row bench as well, who knows.

My VIN comes back to the non-Z55 shock, however the dealer shows Z55 as the option. :hmm:

Is there a GM part# for this front cartridge?

Is OE the only or best option, or are there any good aftermarket options? I have Arnott on the rear and those work great.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is the correct part number, but this looks exactly like the one I have, identical stickers as well.

Screenshot_20230505-105838_Chrome.jpg

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t just go ordering shocks. There are a bunch of different part numbers of the electric shocks depending on options of the vehicle like wheel size and the difference of magna ride and auto ride. Try calling GM Parts Direct with your VIN and see what number they give you.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely won't blindly order the struts....good tip.

I've called multiple dealers, all say the same thing, my VIN comes back to Z55 with computer controlled damping....and the only part# they have is the 19420494.

I do want to keep the Z55, so the aftermarket units that use a resistor in place of the damping system is out for me.

I do have the 22" wheel option.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if this is the correct part number, but this looks exactly like the one I have, identical stickers as well.

View attachment 398430

That one looks right to me.

Also available on Amazon (at a higher price but with free shipping and returns) and the comments suggest that it's the right part for the Z55 suspension.

Or you can get the Chinese knocks-offs (still magnetically controlled) for hella cheap with the springs already installed. I would be willing to try these on an older truck just for $hits and giggles.

Last edited:

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one looks right to me.

Also available on Amazon (at a higher price but with free shipping and returns) and the comments suggest that it's the right part for the Z55 suspension.

Or you can get the Chinese knocks-offs (still magnetically controlled) for hella cheap with the springs already installed. I would be willing to try these on an older truck just for $hits and giggles.

Thanks for the link, that's the one I keep ending up with also.

However like @91RS mentioned, there are many variables.

If you take the last two digits, ie..580-4xx and change them by one number, to 32 or 31, etc, you get a different 8-digit cross reference to the OE BWI number on the strut cartridge.

So safe bet it would work, but how different is the internal valving/damping between each one? That's my dillema right now, trying to keep it OE.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, that's the one I keep ending up with also.

However like @91RS mentioned, there are many variables.

If you take the last two digits, ie..580-4xx and change them by one number, to 32 or 31, etc, you get a different 8-digit cross reference to the OE BWI number on the strut cartridge.

So safe bet it would work, but how different is the internal valving/damping between each one? That's my dillema right now, trying to keep it OE.
Insignificant.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s very weird to me how the part number on the shock doesn’t come up on Google or any of the online catalogs, usually that’s the easiest way to get the right shock. It’s also even more weird how you’re saying the dealer catalog (which is not the same as the 3rd party catalog on all the parts web sites) is giving a part number for a non-electronic shock. The dealer may need to call GM’s parts help desk. That is why I suggest calling Flow Auto Center that runs GM Parts Direct, they should be willing to do that for you if you order from them. They might be a little more expensive than Rock Auto but will still be cheaper than list price at your local dealer and you’ll get the right part. There’s also a parts guy on here that might be willing to call for you but I can’t remember his username.

The part numbers for mine are probably different because mine is a SWB. The fronts are prossibly the same but I’d bet money the rear shocks are different between a SWB and LWB.

dkad260

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fronts are prossibly the same but I’d bet money the rear shocks are different between a SWB and LWB.
Possibly, but this another topic for later but I changed my rear shocks already for the Arnott and I have recently discovered they don't use the auto damping system of the Z55 system but only a resistor? if that's the case then I will likely swap those out.

Anyway, here's what I have and my RPO codes, usually the dealer has all the info but all of them come up with the same part# 19420494

Strut-1.jpg

Strut-2.jpg

RDO-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep