Z55 Air shock replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Good idea, so when they are disconnected, the revert to the softest ride?

There isn’t a calibration that needs completed after replacement though, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify... when I said unplug them, I was referring to the electrical connectors on the front and rear shocks NOT the air lines on the rear shocks.

As @Doubeleive mentioned... the air compressor should start and run for a few seconds after start up, as a self check, and anytime enough weight is added to the rear.

If it isn't running as described then the dump valve could be bad, which should set a light on the dash.

If you loaded the rear heavy and the compressor aired up to compensate for it but couldn't release that air when unloaded then it would cause the ride to be stiff/harsh in the rear.

If you don't hear the pump running or dumping when you turn off the truck then this could be the issue.

If this is the case you can disconnect one of the air lines at the shock to evacuate the air and then reinstall the line and see if it airs back up when you start the truck and then test drive it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify... when I said unplug them, I was referring to the electrical connectors on the front and rear shocks NOT the air lines on the rear shocks.

As @Doubeleive mentioned... the air compressor should start and run for a few seconds after start up, as a self check, and anytime enough weight is added to the rear.

If it isn't running as described then the dump valve could be bad, which should set a light on the dash.

If you loaded the rear heavy and the compressor aired up to compensate for it but couldn't release that air when unloaded then it would cause the ride to be stiff/harsh in the rear.

If you don't hear the pump running or dumping when you turn off the truck then this could be the issue.

If this is the case you can disconnect one of the air lines at the shock to evacuate the air and then reinstall the line and see if it airs back up when you start the truck and then test drive it.
I can hear mine dumping air right before it kicks on when I turn the key on

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I can hear mine dumping air right before it kicks on when I turn the key on

That is correct. It opens the dump valve to release any compression built up in the pump to make it easier for the compressor to start up and reduce the initial amperage draw of the compressor motor.

I also can sometimes hear mine dump after turning the truck off when I get out.