YUUUGE problems in my Transmission/Tcase/Diff ????? Its a mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That fluid could be fresh because the previous owner had changed just in an effort to try and hide a noise back there. It may have been opened up for inspection and the tech saw problems coming and therefore refilled with fresh fluid and put up for sale asap.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty far above my pay grade, anyone have a guess as to what caused this to happen?

View attachment 234131

Yep, See that bent bolt at the bottom of the photo? That's the one that keeps the pinion shaft in place. It make have backed out and stuck into the housing causing the carrier to shatter. Can't remember for sure, but I think it's supposed to have thread locker on it.

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need new axles too.

Im picking it up tomorrow....

PO may have tried to dupe me, who knows. He had just dropped a new GM motor in it though, and maybe another grand for a rear end turned him off of the project.

Crazy, for the last 20+ years I have probably had over 50 crappy old cars... never once had I had a rear end problem. Now, within the last two years have had to do two of them.

1st in my 02 Tahoe and now the Yukon. Ive got a 94 2500 Silverado with 225k on it, I suppose it will be next

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I need new axles too.

Im picking it up tomorrow....

PO may have tried to dupe me, who knows. He had just dropped a new GM motor in it though, and maybe another grand for a rear end turned him off of the project.

Crazy, for the last 20+ years I have probably had over 50 crappy old cars... never once had I had a rear end problem. Now, within the last two years have had to do two of them.

1st in my 02 Tahoe and now the Yukon. Ive got a 94 2500 Silverado with 225k on it, I suppose it will be next

Nah, the differential in that one is overbuilt! Maybe they replaced an axle seal and didn't put loc-tite on that bolt, or didn't torque it to spec, seen it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2