Yukon XL 2500-- ECM Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckhunter175

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2011 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0l, L96 with an E38 ECM. Oil pressure gauge has been ping ponging 0 to 80 to 0. Oil isn't overfilled and the sending unit was replaced twice.

My current understanding is the recent diagnostics show with the electronics on but engine not running the ECM is receiving or putting out high voltage and sending 'oil pressure' from 0 to 143psi!

I was quoted $900+ to replace ECM.

1. Is this a problem anyone has seen before?
2. Has anyone used a VIN programmed ECM bought on ebay or from another marketplace?
3. Who or what is required for the security and CASE relearn??

Thanks!

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right away I zm questioning Gauge calibration accuracy. Was it verified with a Direct reading? Next quesion is What engine codes are present. Someone with more experience will probably step up, but I think you are early in the diagnosis unless the dealer did it. PCM failure happens but rare. And if you swap PCM and problem still exists, do you have to pay them? Your above statement on (diagnosis) is very foggy.

OP
OP
D

duckhunter175

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right away I zm questioning Gauge calibration accuracy. Was it verified with a Direct reading? Next quesion is What engine codes are present. Someone with more experience will probably step up, but I think you are early in the diagnosis unless the dealer did it. PCM failure happens but rare. And if you swap PCM and problem still exists, do you have to pay them? Your above statement on (diagnosis) is very foggy.

I don't have the codes on hand but it was done at the dealer b/c this has been an ongoing issue since purchase (from dealer). I was present during most recent trip when he plugged in and read the codes that were showing 0-143psi on oil gauge and showed an issue with the sending unit.

I was not there when the determination was made there was an issue with ECM.

Vehicle is at the dealer and I'm headed there this morning to discuss options and gather more information.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hmm, doesn’t sound like the correct procedure to follow for going from whacked oil pressure to ECM/BCM.

You’d have to chase sender wires and verify conductivity as well as do the obvious check of the wiring harness that’s known, and documented in several posts, near the front drive axle area (if equipped) that gets snared and causes these sorts of problems.

You need a tech from somewhere else to give you a 2nd opinion. If gauge reading is only issue don’t jump too fast to their pricey possible solution that’ll leave you stuck with a $1k bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Yukon XL 2500, 6.0l, L96 with an E38 ECM. Oil pressure gauge has been ping ponging 0 to 80 to 0. Oil isn't overfilled and the sending unit was replaced twice.

My current understanding is the recent diagnostics show with the electronics on but engine not running the ECM is receiving or putting out high voltage and sending 'oil pressure' from 0 to 143psi!

I was quoted $900+ to replace ECM.

1. Is this a problem anyone has seen before?
2. Has anyone used a VIN programmed ECM bought on ebay or from another marketplace?
3. Who or what is required for the security and CASE relearn??

Thanks!

A new ECM is $185 from Amazon, the ACDelco TDS subscription is $40 for two years for programming. A Tech-2, which is indispensable for working on these trucks, is about $300.

ECM failure or partial failure happens but is fairly rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094