Yukon tail lights now covered under "special coverage"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OilfieldTrash78, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    The program could be expanded if it is determined that more vehicles are affected. Complaints should be submitted to the safercar.gov website so that NHTSA has the data to force the issue and potentially order a recall.

2. Christoph

Christoph Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'm starting to have buyer's remorse. I left GM in the early 2000's for Toyota. I've owned quiet a few but when I had a need for a large SUV with 3rd row seating I decided to give GM another chance since Toyota did not have the things I was looking for in a large SUV. I figured the quality of GM had greatly improved and that they had worked all the kinks of their flagship full-sized SUV's and trucks. Little did I know!

3. Rdr854

Rdr854 Full Access Member

Name:
    Richard
    All OEMs have their issues, Toyota and Honda too. With cars becoming nothing more than mobile computers, the likelihood of problems will only increase. As far as hardware, I remember having to replace both headlight housings on my mom’s Camry because they filled up with water.

4. olyelr

olyelr Full Access Member

Name:
    Brandon
    What exactly happens, the taillight just quits working? Is it intermittent, or once its done its done?

I ask because I have never noticed an issue with my wifes ‘16. But then again, when I am driving it why would I LOL.

5. Mike N

Mike N TYF Newbie

Name:
    Mike N
    I thought the same thing! How do I know if it is going out unless you get a ticket or someone tells you?

olyelr likes this.
  6. CMoore711

CMoore711 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chad
    It is my understanding that there is some problematic area in the circuit of the LED strip for the tail light. This problematic area breaks and then the tail light LED no longer illuminates. When this happens the brake light LED will still illuminate, as well as the turn signal LED and reverse light all still work.

This has happened to both tail lights of my '15 Yukon XL Denali, and on both occasions someone at work who seen me pulling in or out notified me I had a tail light out. Then a kind parent at my kids daycare that was behind me as we pulled into the parking lot for drop-off let me know too. So yes; Outside of getting pulled over or a kind person letting you know there's no other way you would find out.

olyelr likes this.
  7. olyelr

olyelr Full Access Member

Name:
    Brandon
    So no codes or odd characteristics happen, as the turn and brake lights still work?
    I guess I will have to watch my wife drive away...

8. OilfieldTrash78

OilfieldTrash78 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    My brake and running lights would work intermittently. I could go and smack them, and make them flicker on and off. There will be no codes or anything. I found out over the holidays because my BIL was following me and recorded it

olyelr likes this.