YUKON SLT 2003 5.3 Engine & Trans redo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

winslowwc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My beautiful 2003 Yukon 2 x 2 has 255k trouble free miles on it. The power is adequate and the regular gas is appreciated. Looking down the road, I don't want the variable cylinder complexity nor the "plastic everywhere" body on the new ones.
What are your recommended sources and models for a reliable replacements for engine & tranny? Estimated cost to have done right?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest listing what budget you have. Also, your post reads like you want to keep everything stock, but I would explicitly state that if that is the case.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much like owning boats and planes, the only limits to what can happen on vehicle build are set by the budget you have.

I have nothing big like this going on, but if I did, I'd be looking for one of those old-school engine shops.

You know the kind... One of those shops run by two brothers, in their 70's, chewin' on cigar stubs that haven't been lit since the 70's, maybe seem a little cranky at first, engine blocks covering almost every square inch of the speedy-dri-covered floor. Those are the guys to go to! The clutter shows they are so busy, they have no other place to put stuff. But they have been in business, doing one thing, for 50+ years. Must be doing something right.

If you walk into a place and it looks like you can eat off the floor, run out the door! I don't trust those places much.

We have one of those old-school, in business forever shops in town. I know for a fact, that many of our local car dealers send their engines to this shop for rebuilds.

My guess is that the dealers aren't tying up their technicians and spotless repair bays to tear down and do rebuilds. At the local engine specialty shop, overhead is much lower. I imagine, the dealer can bill GM for the full shop rate, pay the local boys the lower rate and the dealer can pocket the rest. Win-win!

These local shops, specializing in engine rebuilds (or all-out custom builds), are true geniuses. Wizards at their craft. They know cams, lifters and how to machine heads like nobody can. They know how things should be set-up, just based on what their eyes see and hands feel. These are the guys with the old specialty tools that nobody else has to really set up engines properly.

I would consider, after you decide what engine choice is (sticking with 5.3 or going 6.0 upgrade), finding a good engine from a salvage yard and having one of these local trusted engine-only shops do a rebuild for you. Whether you keep with stock or do a custom build, the grimy shop run by a couple of old-school engine builders will do a great job for you.

Keep us posted!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much like owning boats and planes, the only limits to what can happen on vehicle build are set by the budget you have.

I have nothing big like this going on, but if I did, I'd be looking for one of those old-school engine shops.

You know the kind... One of those shops run by two brothers, in their 70's, chewin' on cigar stubs that haven't been lit since the 70's, maybe seem a little cranky at first, engine blocks covering almost every square inch of the speedy-dri-covered floor. Those are the guys to go to! The clutter shows they are so busy, they have no other place to put stuff. But they have been in business, doing one thing, for 50+ years. Must be doing something right.

If you walk into a place and it looks like you can eat off the floor, run out the door! I don't trust those places much.

We have one of those old-school, in business forever shops in town. I know for a fact, that many of our local car dealers send their engines to this shop for rebuilds.

My guess is that the dealers aren't tying up their technicians and spotless repair bays to tear down and do rebuilds. At the local engine specialty shop, overhead is much lower. I imagine, the dealer can bill GM for the full shop rate, pay the local boys the lower rate and the dealer can pocket the rest. Win-win!

These local shops, specializing in engine rebuilds (or all-out custom builds), are true geniuses. Wizards at their craft. They know cams, lifters and how to machine heads like nobody can. They know how things should be set-up, just based on what their eyes see and hands feel. These are the guys with the old specialty tools that nobody else has to really set up engines properly.

I would consider, after you decide what engine choice is (sticking with 5.3 or going 6.0 upgrade), finding a good engine from a salvage yard and having one of these local trusted engine-only shops do a rebuild for you. Whether you keep with stock or do a custom build, the grimy shop run by a couple of old-school engine builders will do a great job for you.

Keep us posted!
Wish I knew a shop like this in Dallas!