Yukon drives like a death trap after 4" lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local offroad shop here in houston area, i'm thinking that no alignment was done afterwards. could be the issue
Have you driven it enough to see any tire wear?

The crossmember ought to have been cut and welded for rigidity. The tie rods cut down and the alignment should put the caster on both sides at 3.3 degrees. Those were some of the things required for our Zone 6.5" lift (GMC Sierra) which is a subsidiary of BDS.

Well, if you still have issues after having it aligned, take some photos of the undercarriage and post them up.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about this but the lift that was installed professionally on my son’s GMC Sierra included different control arms and tie rods. He discovered this when had had to replace some of those parts recently and had to buy the same expensive aftermarket brand parts. The local GMC dealer tried numerous OEM parts but none would work. After that repair he got rid of the truck and went back to 100% stock suspension.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there an option for a steering stabilizer? If so, did you get it? I know there was on the one for my '04 Silverado....it drove better than stock with the BDS 6" kit and 3" body lift. Have you rechecked all of the bolts? Something may have loosened, it's recommended to retorque all of the bolts/nuts after 500 miles.

rico387

Reaction score
All I did was a 2” leveling kit on my ‘16 LTZ. Yet, it came with new front alignment specs. Contact the manufacturer of your lift kit. Chances are, they’ll have amended numbers to give your alignment tech.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@cbenten83 - Sorry to hear you're not enjoying the ride!

I too have the 4" BDS lift kit (733H) installed. I use Xineering's OBD/SS magneride delete product to allow for a passive suspension setup.

In order to be helpful, myself and other members, can you please answer the following questions?

1. Was the off-road installer a BDS Authorized Dealer/Installer? You can go to the BDS website and lookup authorized dealers/installers
2. What options do you have on your 4" BDS Kit. 2" rear or 3"? Are you running your OE shocks up front or did you get aftermarket shocks (Fox perhaps)? What shocks did you select for the Rear shocks with the kit? Fox or BDS' NX2s? I'm assuming no magneride shocks or air leveling on your vehicle, is that correct?
3. You stated OE wheels on 35" tires. Which OE wheels? Are they 18,20,22s? I'm guessing 20/22s probably. What 35" tires are installed? Exact specs please - Tire name and brand, as well as sizing, ie: 275/60r20 Falken Wildpeak AT3
4. BDS recommends max tire size of 33"x12.5 with the 4" lift - was there significant trimming to the front bumper or wheel wells after installation?
5. What was your original wheel and tire specs?
6. What is your tire rotation schedule? How often do you rotate your tires?
7. ALIGNMENT!!! -> this should have been your first stop after the install, if the install shop did NOT perform an alignment. My guess, they did NOT. Many off-road shops will do the work but not alignments. You may want to contact the original installer to confirm. Better yet, find a reputable HD truck/Lifted Truck/Off-Road vehicle alignment specialty shop. NOTE: Your BDS 4" lift includes new knuckles; the front track width has been increased from OE setup by 2.0" on EACH SIDE.
8. At alignment appointment, have both front UCA ball joints checked. They should NOT have play. New OE UCAs may be needed if ball joints are bad.
9. Are you running wheel spacers in front or rear? If so, what size in front/rear? If yes, are they hub-centric? Have they been retightened?
10. After 2 years from install, it is worth a trip to an approved BDS install shop to have ALL BDS lift components checked for wear and tear and BOLTS tightened. Is anything loose upon inspection? Broken?
11. A caster/camber adjustment kit may be needed, the alignment shop should know if this would help your setup.
12. Visible un-even wear on tires? If so, what kind of wear pattern are you seeing?
13. Do you hear a low humming while on the highway? If yes, perhaps the front hubs need to be checked as well.

We are here to help - gotta get that badass ride feelin' good!

Safe Travels!