Yukon Denali warranty just expired w/2 front locked struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buz

Reaction score
  • Took it in to dealer for oil change and I mentioned there is a slight rumble noise coming at low speeds (10mph) from the front... he says the 2 front magneride shocks/struts are “locked” and the ride should be smoother! I’m at 44k miles and they quoted $670/shock... is this normal? Guess I should have got extended warranty :/
$1900 with labor
2018 GMC Yukon Denali

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Or should have been saving in an account money for vehicle maintenance or repairs. I hate extended warranties.

OP
OP
Buz

Buz

Reaction score
Haha I meant is this typical to go out this early? All highway miles.. not about accounts/money

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is only if the correct diagnosis was done by the dealer tech. They make mistakes just like other non dealer techs. I would have it all checked again at an independent shop. If you take to another dealer and the last inspection notes are in the GM system under your VIN, you may get the exact same response, true or not.

Danyi2170

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I meant is this typical to go out this early? All highway miles.. not about accounts/money
Seems way too early for those to go out. For that amount of money I would ditch the magnaride and get something else.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, for some reason the quality has gone down on these newer struts, seen a lot of reports of them failing earlier than normal, normal being typical 80k+
that being said you can get the oem strut portion of the fronts from rockauto for 1/2 the dealer price, you would just need the spring compressed and then swap them out, the spring part doesn't fail, so you could both of them for the price that the dealer wants for 1

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • Took it in to dealer for oil change and I mentioned there is a slight rumble noise coming at low speeds (10mph) from the front... he says the 2 front magneride shocks/struts are “locked” and the ride should be smoother! I’m at 44k miles and they quoted $670/shock... is this normal? Guess I should have got extended warranty :/
$1900 with labor
2018 GMC Yukon Denali

That seems about 1/2 life, a little squawking to GM customer service might help.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, they are shocks so it is a wear item...but that is certainly premature.

I had this same shock issue with my wifes denali. It was at roughly 70k miles though. Regardless, I chose the path of getting rid of the magnaride altogether. I put a set of fox coilover struts up front ($1000 total) and installed myself. Also ha to get a set of the shock simulators from xineering to keep the codes from popping up on the dash (think that was another few hundred dollars if memory serves me right).

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at shocks and struts at the 60k mark unless there is accident damage or a premature failure in your case.

I "think" there should be a DTC if the mag ride has failed? Is there a stability related code, light or message ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01