Yukon Denali Duramax - Is it slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAF84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very little out there on the performance aspect of the Yukon with the Duramax. Seems no one wants to put it’s 0-60 times and such on paper. We have a 2019 Escalade with the 6.2, and it has plenty of grunt, I’m wondering if the smaller Duramax will feel like a dog when you get on it. I drive an F250 diesel, so I’m familiar with the feel, and mine is just fast enough, but I’d be worried about a 3L because of it’s size in comparison to the vehicle weight. It would have been awesome if GM installed the 6.6L Duramax, but I digress.

Anyway, for those of you who typically drive faster cars, does it feel lacking off the line, or overtaking on a two lane country road?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check out this thread:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it’s snappy off the line and comes on firmly from say 40-70. It’s not 6.2 or sports car fast. For a diesel and a 6 cylinder, it’s quite good I think.
You can’t expect a Corvette and 28 MPG in the same sentence. This thing fills the bill very nicely for what it is… but I’ve had many diesels and this one is probably the smoothest I’ve had…..

Decreed_it

Reaction score
it’s snappy off the line and comes on firmly from say 40-70. It’s not 6.2 or sports car fast. For a diesel and a 6 cylinder, it’s quite good I think.
You can’t expect a Corvette and 28 MPG in the same sentence. This thing fills the bill very nicely for what it is… but I’ve had many diesels and this one is probably the smoothest I’ve had…..
This ^^ coming from my Land Cruiser 200 this thing is ENORMOUS and I treat it like a large boat, #SlowIsPro :cool: but there's plenty of grunt there to git r dun. Same or more torque than the 6.2L I think? Ample.

Nima

Reaction score
Very little out there on the performance aspect of the Yukon with the Duramax. Seems no one wants to put it’s 0-60 times and such on paper. We have a 2019 Escalade with the 6.2, and it has plenty of grunt, I’m wondering if the smaller Duramax will feel like a dog when you get on it. I drive an F250 diesel, so I’m familiar with the feel, and mine is just fast enough, but I’d be worried about a 3L because of it’s size in comparison to the vehicle weight. It would have been awesome if GM installed the 6.6L Duramax, but I digress.

Anyway, for those of you who typically drive faster cars, does it feel lacking off the line, or overtaking on a two lane country road?
I have a diesel Tahoe
I get 700km per tank
I love that about it .
Is it slow compare to my 15 Tahoe, no not really, it is pretty smooth actually
You are Driving the F250 so you know the difference .there is a sport mode you can pick and that gives you much smoother ride but definitely not economical. To wrap it up I would say it is pretty smooth and I wouldn’t be concern at all

Rangerdeepv

Reaction score
It is anything but slow. It won't pass a large truck as quick as a 6.2 or a heavy footed 5.3 but it is no slouch Owned a 5.3 in my '17 Sierra and this Yukon will go when needed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There's a diesel AT4 Sierra in the above video and Nathan took a Denali out for a spin and demonstrated its performance but I cannot remember the video, maybe it wasn't a Denali?

OP
OP
V

VAF84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There's a diesel AT4 Sierra in the above video and Nathan took a Denali out for a spin and demonstrated its performance but I cannot remember the video, maybe it wasn't a Denali?

Love TFL! Great video, it helped. At least you can see both engines at work. Even if it's the pickup version, it gives me a good idea. Looks like even at high elevations the 6.2L is considerably more responsive. For city driving it'd be a toss up, and maybe lean towards the diesel. With rural two lane road driving, I'd be hard pressed to give up the 6.2's power for overtaking.