Yukon 5.3 or 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s AWD. The last time I tried for smoke I blew up a $4000 transmission that was built for 800 HP. The problem is torque combined with a lot of weight combined with the NVG149 transfer case. It just plain launches. I haven’t done any new videos since the trans and stall. Here’s an old one though. I need to update.
Thanks for that. Yes, the AWD makes for a whole different animal, with some added parts to worry about if course.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never tell......

(Porsche - Kelly Moss Motorsports / one of the Sebring cars )
( Yellow/Blue, Spice Can Am... 24 Hr Daytona )
( Riley and Scott, testing at Sears Point Raceway - driver is actor Craig T. Nelson /GOOD driver!)
( Indy Lights / Laguna Seca Raceway - Team Mears )
Wow! So cool! Sounds like a hellova good time!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! So cool! Sounds like a hellova good time!

Yea..... A LOT of work..... Kinda like a rock band roadie Manager....... Travel & Noise.
( But without drugs...... But with coffee!!!

Pit stops is the FUN part !!!!!!!!!

And getting to know nice people......

Like..... ( A couple photos I took.... He used to practice at the driving school a lot)

Butch Cassidy .jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 is a 5.3, just bigger.... it’s the exact same workhorse. It’s just as tried and true... if you’re only getting 20 or 21 on the highway, you might have a problem with your 5.3.... I can cruise the freeways at 75, with the weight of all my detailing gear in the back, and still get 20-21 mpg, with a tuned 6.0 AWD XL Denali suv! And paying the price for premium fuel is so worth having the extra power and the enjoyment it brings to driving the vehicle!

Another way to look at this, the 6.0 doesn't have to work so hard at 75 mph, therefore, it uses less fuel at speed compared with the 5.3.

My truck (5.3) gets 17 mpg @ 75 as currently configured.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering good gas mileage on the freeway....

When Dick Guldstrand created a 50th anniversary Corvette ( Optioned by Chevrolet's Z06 as a $50,000 upgrade).... The engine was built by the same shop "Katech" that built the 427 engines for the Yellow IMSA 'Vettes..... About 500 HP......

A customer came to the shop one day and commented that the freeway miles per gallon was 29MPG.
Due to hardly touching the gas peddle to maintain 70mph !!

I love horse power !!

( Uh, yea...... I worked for Dick Guldstrand too....... Was there during the concept of the 50th )
Sorry..... I bragged again.....

2003_chevrolet_corvette_z06-gold_passenger_side_front_view.jpg

Tom H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for having me on the forum. I have a question which has probably already been answered but I haven't found it in my searches yet I'm looking at several different yukons from 05-06 some are denalis and some are slt's. I know which engines come in which vehicles but I wanted to know what everyone here prefers. The 5.3 or the 6.0 . I already know what way I'm leaning. I'm also looking at buying one of these vehicles within the next few days seeing as I have to replace a dead 04 blazer. Thanks in advance for all your input
Dan

Tom H

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last month I just traded my 2016 Tahoe for a 2019 Denali with the 6.0 with the 10 speed transmission. Wouldn't go back to the 5.3. Made two trips and the 6.0 was slightly better on fuel and I usually drive around 10-15 miles over limit. Coming back from the beach last week I averaged 62 miles per hour and 20.1 miles per gallon. Love the 19. I think the 10 speed is the trick, can barely feel it change.

OP
OP
T

tazz63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last month I just traded my 2016 Tahoe for a 2019 Denali with the 6.0 with the 10 speed transmission. Wouldn't go back to the 5.3. Made two trips and the 6.0 was slightly better on fuel and I usually drive around 10-15 miles over limit. Coming back from the beach last week I averaged 62 miles per hour and 20.1 miles per gallon. Love the 19. I think the 10 speed is the trick, can barely feel it change.

Well unfortunately I can't afford new, one kid in college and the other not far behind. That's why I'm posting in the NBS section. At least I should be able to afford one of these . All the ones I looked at last week were duds or they wanted 10k for a 2k vehicle. Seems pretty hard to find a decent one here in Massachusetts or as I like to say Taxatooshits.