Yukon 5.3 or 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the mid '70's I had a Midnight blue GTO. I worked at a race shop & off-shore Cigarettes. One of my bosses was an NHRA top fuel funny car racer. I could have done anything I wanted to build the car....

I learned to have a pretty much stock set-up, except for a blueprinted quadrdajet carb and a built 350 transmission. The engine was stock, but ran PERFECTLY.

At the Thursday night drags, I would beat most every competitor. The other guys & gals would mess with their engines but required more "messing around" to run good. I just waited for my next turn.

I appreciate blowers & turbos. But if you "run what you brung ", is your daily driver, ......

Running good & a reliable stock is my way.

But... if I had the room for a shop & a second car........ I'd be on a road course sliding sideways!!

OP
OP
T

tazz63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's funny someone just the other day reminded me of how we used to adjust points, I was a smoker back then and always had a pack of matches on me. Anyone else remember that

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the mid '70's I had a Midnight blue GTO. I worked at a race shop & off-shore Cigarettes. One of my bosses was an NHRA top fuel funny car racer. I could have done anything I wanted to build the car....

I learned to have a pretty much stock set-up, except for a blueprinted quadrdajet carb and a built 350 transmission. The engine was stock, but ran PERFECTLY.

At the Thursday night drags, I would beat most every competitor. The other guys & gals would mess with their engines but required more "messing around" to run good. I just waited for my next turn.

I appreciate blowers & turbos. But if you "run what you brung ", is your daily driver, ......

Running good & a reliable stock is my way.

But... if I had the room for a shop & a second car........ I'd be on a road course sliding sideways!!

My thinking became very much like yours after years of racing. The best mod was to have the car in tip top shape.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thinking became very much like yours after years of racing. The best mod was to have the car in tip top shape.

10 or so years ago I was on team with 2 IMSA, Porsche GT3 RS. The manager over spent on every part of the brand new cars. Carbon fiber replacing plastic panels, etc. The car chiefs were forced to work in circles.
( In my view, over doing it, starts you to go backwards ).....

To me,... "What are the important parts?"......
12 Hours at Sebring..... lap 20... ( Anthony Lazarro driving) 1st car broke a CV joint. 10 laps later the other car ( David Murry driving) broke a L/R heim joint on suspension upright.

So ........ a carbon fiber panel??? The other 4 drivers went to the hotel.....

I drove the transport back to Madison Wisconsin.... The cars weren't even dusty.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 or so years ago I was on team with 2 IMSA, Porsche GT3 RS. The manager over spent on every part of the brand new cars. Carbon fiber replacing plastic panels, etc. The car chiefs were forced to work in circles.
( In my view, over doing it, starts you to go backwards ).....

To me,... "What are the important parts?"......
12 Hours at Sebring..... lap 20... ( Anthony Lazarro driving) 1st car broke a CV joint. 10 laps later the other car ( David Murry driving) broke a L/R heim joint on suspension upright.

So ........ a carbon fiber panel??? The other 4 drivers went to the hotel.....

I drove the transport back to Madison Wisconsin.... The cars weren't even dusty.

Sounds familiar, he was dazzled by sparkly things and didn't understand the platform he was in charge of. When I had my race shop, much of the work to make cars faster was taking off all the snake oil that other shops had sold them. I learned early on to examine the designer's intent and work within those bounds and made a lot of power, reliably, while spending a tenth of what my contemporaries spent on their cars.

That must've been pretty cool being part of a professional race team.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never tell......

(Porsche - Kelly Moss Motorsports / one of the Sebring cars )
( Yellow/Blue, Spice Can Am... 24 Hr Daytona )
( Riley and Scott, testing at Sears Point Raceway - driver is actor Craig T. Nelson /GOOD driver!)
( Indy Lights / Laguna Seca Raceway - Team Mears )

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2018 Tahoe RST which I specifically ordered with a 5.3, as the 6.2 requires premium. While it's pleasant to have the extra power it is not worth paying the cost of premium every fill up which really adds up. The 5.3 is a tried and true workhorse. I put a K&N air filter on it which opens it up slightly and I have a Borla exhaust. I like it fine configured as it is. I have an Audi which requires premium because of Turbo. Paying for premium adds up in the long run if you're running a not so great mileage vehicle like a Tahoe, Yukon or such. I can get 20-21 on the highway out of the Tahoe if you don't hit it hard.
The 6.0 is a 5.3, just bigger.... it’s the exact same workhorse. It’s just as tried and true... if you’re only getting 20 or 21 on the highway, you might have a problem with your 5.3.... I can cruise the freeways at 75, with the weight of all my detailing gear in the back, and still get 20-21 mpg, with a tuned 6.0 AWD XL Denali suv! And paying the price for premium fuel is so worth having the extra power and the enjoyment it brings to driving the vehicle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins