Yukon 5.3 or 6.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tazz63

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for having me on the forum. I have a question which has probably already been answered but I haven't found it in my searches yet I'm looking at several different yukons from 05-06 some are denalis and some are slt's. I know which engines come in which vehicles but I wanted to know what everyone here prefers. The 5.3 or the 6.0 . I already know what way I'm leaning. I'm also looking at buying one of these vehicles within the next few days seeing as I have to replace a dead 04 blazer. Thanks in advance for all your input
Dan

Trey R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd go 5.3 cause they are more common. I have a 2005 Tahoe with 5.3 and a 2007 with the 5.3 and I have pulled some impressive things with some mods but still the 5.3 is awesome if you ask me.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 comes in denali and AWD. If I were to do it over again, I would find a 2wd 5.3 slt truck, if that animal exists.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 all the way. They’re common enough and have shown to be good motors. Some say the 06 Denali is the best made. This of course comes from a 6.2 guy. What’d you expect me to say??

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have both. An l59 and an lq4. I like the flex of the l59, especially with gas prices lately, and it likes it, too. It has plenty of guts. But the lq4 just WANTS to go fast. My 5.3 is black bear tuned, the 6.0 is stock, and still, the 6.0 is beastly in comparison.

If it's fuel economy and a good daily/ family hauler you're after, the 5.3 is great.

If you're towing or want a racetruck, get the 6.0.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote 6.0. I just traded my tuned 05 5.3 Tahoe in on a 06 Sierra Denali. Even though it's stock, the 6.0 is just better all around. The throttle response is much better, and it just want to GO! I don't think I'll ever own another 5.3, especially since the fuel mileage is almost the same. I think if the truck wasn't AWD, it would actually surpass what I was getting mpg wise with the 5.3

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like stated above. If its just a daily driver,, grocery getter,,,you dont need, like, or want the most power possible, and you dont tow anything the 5.3 is a great motor and will serve you great.

Any deviation from the above get the 6.0