YouTube must save us Billions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I certainly agree with what you're saying, I also know (because it's part of what I do for my employer) that people learn best by "seeing" what to do. You can write work instructions all day, you can tell someone how to do it, but nothing beats the visual impact of seeing the task at hand actually performed for real understanding and memory retention. We actually use YT as a tool to share with other manufacturing plants across the country.

I'm a kinesthetic kind of guy, learn best by doing followed by visual (seeing/reading). Auditory, not so much!

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While were kind of on the subject, I also like https://www.1aauto.com/ . They have a serious collection of some very easy to follow videos for the DIYer that you can search by your vehicle for, along with a lot of parts. There customer service is great too.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related, there should be a thread about horror stories, hacks,favors, and cheap part customers. It would make for some serious entertainment.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South main auto guy .. Is totally awesome send him some cash when you get chance .. he saved me lot headaches ...[emoji106]

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The billions saved via YouTube is offset by the helpful citizens of Facebook groups. People are constantly asking about stabilitrac or CEL and half the yayhoos suggest the part that fixed their issue. Original poster comes back the next day and says “welp... that didn’t fix it...”

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
The billions saved via YouTube is offset by the helpful citizens of Facebook groups. People are constantly asking about stabilitrac or CEL and half the yayhoos suggest the part that fixed their issue. Original poster comes back the next day and says “welp... that didn’t fix it...”
Because no one diags. "I have a noise"

Wheel bearing wins by popular vote

No one crawls under the car to inspect

Wheel bearing, brakes, bump stops are replaced. Meanwhile it was a backing plate or something all along

"this car is a ************* I'm selling it"

Happens ALL THE TIME. Honestly it's frustrating to watch. There's a shop joke called the parts cannon / parts shotgun. Basically you indiscriminately throw money at the problem hoping one of the things you replace fixes it. It's a tremendously poor way of going a out repairs, but hey, some folks would rather spend 5x as much time and money on guessing rather than either diaging it themselves or paying the 100 bucks for a shop to. But they have justified its a good value because everything they pay for is for a part and not a service /labor item so that must make it good right? Avoid the shop scams?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because no one diags. "I have a noise"

Wheel bearing wins by popular vote

No one crawls under the car to inspect

Wheel bearing, brakes, bump stops are replaced. Meanwhile it was a backing plate or something all along

"this car is a ************* I'm selling it"

Happens ALL THE TIME. Honestly it's frustrating to watch. There's a shop joke called the parts cannon / parts shotgun. Basically you indiscriminately throw money at the problem hoping one of the things you replace fixes it. It's a tremendously poor way of going a out repairs, but hey, some folks would rather spend 5x as much time and money on guessing rather than either diaging it themselves or paying the 100 bucks for a shop to. But they have justified its a good value because everything they pay for is for a part and not a service /labor item so that must make it good right? Avoid the shop scams?

I work on airplanes—I’m very familiar with the parts cannon!

Thauber

Reaction score
I doubt YT has made a real big difference in the amount of business mechanic shops see. I am another one that has been doing his own work since my very first truck and car ('78 Chevy pickup and '88 Camaro). Have done most everything EXCEPT rebuild a transmission or do body work/paint. Finding videos are helpful for those of us that do our own stuff when we aren't used to a vehicle yet and want a visual or to see different approaches, maybe one is faster or easier than another. Such as I needed to know the fastest way to reach my pass blend door the other day, manual said where it was, a YT video showed a way to replace it, wound up my own way to reach it using both resources. However, as some have pointed out, for those that aren't mechanically inclined, those videos may give them a sense of confidence and be their downfall, earning a mechanic more money.

A buddy of mine has a transmission shop about an hour down the road, and he has a sign right at face level when you approach the building:

Labor Rates are as follows:
$50/hr for repairs
$75/hr if you want to watch
$100/hr if you tried to fix it first :happy175:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use YT videos to show me basic stuff. Manuals have very few usable photos to guide me to unfamiliar territory....

But I must admit..... YT showed me exactly how to change out my rear passenger power window assembly. Took me less than an hour & a half!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442