Your Preferred Motor Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryKing

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. One quick actual experience:

2012 Tahoe 5.3 200K miles. I noticed lower oil pressure at idle after about "50% oil life remaining". I had used Castrol Edge full synthetic and Fram TG filter.

Based on a recommendation here a few months ago I switched to Mobil1 and the Mobil1 filter. The comment (I can't find) said the Mobil1 filter was superior. Now at "10% oil like remaining" the idle pressure stays the same as when new. (I usually change at mileage and 20% remaining, but I just did a long trip and was at 10% when I got back.

THANKS for lotsa help I've gotten on this group!

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has called me on it yet but I use the Amazon basics 10w-30 full synthetic with absolutely no problems. Made at the same plant as Mobil 1 and in side by side tests on numerous sites, it either has tied Mobil 1 or beat it in many tests.

But yea, another "what oil should I use" thread. Yawn!
Has anyone really ever had a problem with any oil that they are aware of? Any oil will get you through the first 100k and by then nobody knows why anything happens

Bigshawn

Reaction score
I usually use olive or canola oil and i have a rubber hose with a hose clamp where the filter should be. Then i have the other end of the hose hooked to the oil pick tube. Works great

NorthernYukon97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heated topic...

Mobil 1 in gas engines.

I switched over and have been running it for as long as I can remember now (20 years?) never an mechanical engine issue since, in multiple trucks and cars, high mileage and working trucks.

That’s my 2c.

Bigshawn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. One quick actual experience:

2012 Tahoe 5.3 200K miles. I noticed lower oil pressure at idle after about "50% oil life remaining". I had used Castrol Edge full synthetic and Fram TG filter.

Based on a recommendation here a few months ago I switched to Mobil1 and the Mobil1 filter. The comment (I can't find) said the Mobil1 filter was superior. Now at "10% oil like remaining" the idle pressure stays the same as when new. (I usually change at mileage and 20% remaining, but I just did a long trip and was at 10% when I got back.

THANKS for lotsa help I've gotten on this group!
Hey i have a 01 yukon 5.3 and was using 5w30 castrol/castrol high mileage since like 2009. Just in the past year or two i switched to castrol full synthetic high mileage. Never had a problem with my oil pressure, it would usually run around 40 at idle. Mostly used k&n and puralator filters. My vehicle is at 331,000 miles.
What weight oil are you running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094