You Run A Mobil 1 Oil Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First problem is a 16k mile oil change. I don't care what the Oil or filter is rated for, that ***** just ridiculous
Even with a perfect PCV system on a vehicle that drove upwards of 300 highway miles every day, I'd change the oil every 6000 miles at MOST.
I consider it a failure of our educational system that lets oil / oil filter manufacturers get away with saying anything past
'6000 mile oil change interval'.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per a insider interview, oil change intervals were increased because the failure rate of common/popular engines were so low. Increase the OLM (Oil Life Monitor) to the max, or whatever the salesman tells the unsuspecting purchaser, and they will either be needing an engine, or will junk it due to a bad engine from poor oil maintenance, and the dealer/manufacture wins.

I think this started back in the 90's with transmissions with no oil dipstick, and a crazy (if any) service interval.

Push back from old timers was high.. But has quickly diminished as older folks died/quit driving, and the younger generations were never told the way its supposed to be.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Two things, WIX XP filters for years and 5k miles oil change intervals.

Remember when Toyota did an ad campaign where it showed how reliable their vehicles were and could go long intervals between maintenance work....by showing a guy welding the hood closed. There were people that believed that and only addressed ANYTHING if a light came on.

But we got people out there that drive in to a lake or ocean because the GPS said to.......freakin' idiots. Sorry, but common sense is fast becoming a thing of the past.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things, WIX XP filters for years and 5k miles oil change intervals.

Remember when Toyota did an ad campaign where it showed how reliable their vehicles were and could go long intervals between maintenance work....by showing a guy welding the hood closed. There were people that believed that and only addressed ANYTHING if a light came on.

But we got people out there that drive in to a lake or ocean because the GPS said to.......freakin' idiots. Sorry, but common sense is fast becoming a thing of the past.
penny wise, dollar dumb...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so be fair it looks like it caught a bunch of crap in the can?

just plugged up and tore in a few spots? I mean no one seems very surprised by it?

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so be fair it looks like it caught a bunch of crap in the can?

just plugged up and tore in a few spots? I mean no one seems very surprised by it?
That's not what I'm getting from their responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts