You don’t have to buy a data plan to use google maps!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how to get the vehicle to download offline maps. I see the option on the menu, but when I try it I see a message about not having a mobile data plan.

I haven't been able to get it to connect to my iPhone hotspot, but I have been able to get it to connect to my home WIFi, but it won't download offline maps.

Any tips?
Mine will download offline maps off my home wifi...but i have the data plan...hum...

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking of dumping the costly On Star and Wi-Fi when their free time expires.

Any updates from those that have dumped them and used iPhone as a hotspot for google services in car?

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking of dumping the costly On Star and Wi-Fi when their free time expires.

Any updates from those that have dumped them and used iPhone as a hotspot for google services in car?
I really don't care what people spend their money on but the same people who think this is ludicrous probably spend 100 a month on Starbucks or Streaming services. (I use neither..) How many people subscribe to things and only use them once a month or never?
I drive my vehicle every day, the connected features help me every day, and I don't have to F around with a "Hotspot". Just my opinion only.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really don't care what people spend their money on but the same people who think this is ludicrous probably spend 100 a month on Starbucks or Streaming services. (I use neither..) How many people subscribe to things and only use them once a month or never?
I drive my vehicle every day, the connected features help me every day, and I don't have to F around with a "Hotspot". Just my opinion only.
Exactly. The subscription is less than a tank of gas. Everyone has priorities…but, I still think GM blew it. They should have not itemized it on the Sticker, and “included” it in the base price and sold it as a feature. “Three years connected vehicle included.” Then offer a “Lifetime” add on in the Finance office for maybe 4x or 5x the annual subscription price. Everyone in there plopping down $4k for a “warranty” might bite for another $1.5k “forever.”

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Building it into the cost would definitely been the way to go. Having it as a separate monthly fee when everyone has a smartphone which already does nav, music streaming, Wi-Fi hotspot, etc makes it so clothes are asking consumer to pay for 99% of it twice.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife is not too happy about the OnStar monthly, but the way I see it...its there if needed; Internet/Maps/Yukon locate. For me, I'm fine as I see the value. Yes, there are alt solutions...but as stated above...is it "really" that expensive when your driving around in a 75k+ vehicle? Like @66 Galaxie stated...better to just roll it into the vehicle price to make it semi-transparent vs an additional monthly.

TonyCicerone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine won't load even if I do connect to Wifi or a hotspot. Says I need a data plan.