You can now say good bye to auto stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I get it!

For those who already have it, if you don't like it, just push the button to turn it off.

PS. I know of some people who have bought an installed modules to disable Auto Stop/Start.
auto stop stinks sometimes(when stopping at a stop sign) but I would have a capacitor inline with the battery just to increase reliability..

great if your waiting for a 2 mile train

this is how i broke my shifting cable i shifted it at lest 7200 times before it broke..

But I can disable both AFM and AutoStop by shifting to M4....

Last edited:

G-Frog

Reaction score
Just read about the stop/start. Should have waiting another month or so...lol.

On my previous ride, I also have the auto stop/start and got a module to be deactivated at all times. Whats out there for the Tahoes?? I know Range from back in 2011 on my SS are they still around and do they disable stop/start??
Range still makes them, but they don't have any yet for the 2021 GMC or Chevy. They only have until 2020 models.
Range Technology

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Any word of the SUVs had cylinder deactivation removed? Read on GMA.com that in March the Silverado’s had it removed. Currently have a build date 5/21 and read about the lifter defect…and well you can imagine my thoughts.

Dez78n

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that the chip issue also affected the Auto Start/Stop feature until I saw Chloe_21's report. That's why I didn't understand the original post of paying to get it removed.

The Auto Start/Stop can be a real PITA for those who have never experienced it before. My first experience was with my 2018 Traverse which didn't have the "A" On/Off switch. I live in an area with many stop signs. Most times I didn't want the darn thing to shut down the engine for a 2 second stop. It was really annoying. Then I discovered that if you place the transmission in manual mode and selected the highest gear (9 in the Traverse) it would disable the Auto Stop/Start and shift normally.

GM must have adjusted it better for the 2021s because my Yukon doesn't activate right away when I come to a stop. It seems to take between 3 to 5 seconds before activating. They also added the "A" button to disable the system (finally).
Don't you have to disable it every time you start the vehicle though? My Honda has this and I HATE it. However I've learned the sweet spot on the brake pedal so I don't push down hard enough to engage the system

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hurray! Mine is being built the week of 6/28, and I didn't want that "feature"!
Maybe.. It is an option you select on the build sheet right now.. Yours may have it since it was ordered with it.. I would check with your dealer and see if they know, but they likely wont even know.

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe.. It is an option you select on the build sheet right now.. Yours may have it since it was ordered with it.. I would check with your dealer and see if they know, but they likely wont even know.
yeah I checked, they don't know...

G-Frog

Reaction score
Don't you have to disable it every time you start the vehicle though? My Honda has this and I HATE it. However I've learned the sweet spot on the brake pedal so I don't push down hard enough to engage the system
You are correct. The "A" button needs to be pushed every time you start the engine. But... its easier than selecting "L" and pushing the "+" sign 9 times.
I don't personally use the transmission manual mode to disable the auto stop/start like I used to in my 2018 Traverse. I find that my Yuken doesn't activate as often as the Traverse did. Like you, I have learned to adjust my driving to avoid it stopping the engine.

As a side note, there was a recall (N202307080 Auto Stop with Low Battery State of Charge) that was completed about 1 week ago; the auto stop/start has not worked since. I understand that there is a learning period, but it's been a week of every day city driving and it still not functioning. I don't think that I'll complain to the dealer. :)

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that some of the new builds do not have the start/stop feature. Just put down a deposit on an AT4 and it was removed per the window sticker (-$50). I hate having to deactivate it after every startup. There are "always" days when you forget and then it shuts off when you stop to park. Then it turns back on when you change gear to park, then you shut it down again to exit....

Rhinoguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is this chip located on the vehicle? I'm ready to ****** mine off.

CougarCruiser

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What does the button do on units that have it disabled? Is it there? Is it removed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT