Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I got a direct drive starter. DD was oe so that's why I got that over the pgmr.
doing some digging when i had my issue gm started throwing the pmgr starters in various model and year with the 5.7 vortec. so its an oe part but i can never see mfgs backdating revised parts it would be like admitting there was a problem. anyway something with the heat and a bunch of stuff thats over my head the dd starters get burned up super quick and the pmgr starters dont suffer from the same thing. your oe dd starter acdelco
and heres the oe pmgr starter acdelco
they never changed anything it is a direct install on your 97 and starts showing up as oe equipment in 98.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum from N.Z

Wow!! Well I reckon that was a really good start to your build thread!
I have the same model as you in black.
Have pretty much done the same through the front end Suspension as you have listed and now need a new pitman arm.
Have been pretty lucky with the rest so far. Hope you get the battery thing sorted soon :favorites37:

Jeff111

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WHAT DO I DO?
97 gmc yukon slt, 5.7, 4x4
Bought this truck and the person said the tranny has just been rebuilt and it went downhill fast. Immediately did the following:
-New tranny
-New torque converter
-New rear driveshaft
-New rear end
-New oil/oil filter
After a week, the hub assembly and driver cv axle blew out so I parked it until I could get all the front end parts. Ok so I start it every couple days to keep the juices flowing. It snows, I don't go out for 4-5 days...battery dead. I charge the battery it fires up. I go out a couple days later, battery dead, I jump it, it starts. Auto Zone test says that battery had an overcharged cell so dud. Finally able to do:
-New hub assemblies
-New cv axles
-New tie rods ends (inner and outer)
-New upper and lower ball joints
-Newer battery, reading good
It ran fine, started right up for a week...ran meh ok like it needed a tune up but good. Last week it just wouldn't start without a jump box. It won't crank sometimes, it won't start. It'll crank sometimes, no start. Dugguduggdudgggdug like the starter is out but it's good. There is a starter bypass that was run when I got the truck, I ran the truck with a new starter with and without the bypass...same thing. Duggudugggduggdugguu. I put the jump box on it and it starts up. I hear the fuel pump engage when I turn the key to on position. I have checked all fuses inside and out and have only found one shit fuse, the heater blower fuse...replaced it and heater blew, and every other one read good. I have tried to hook my scanner up to it but it didn't even recognize the truck. With the above list, I have also sunk myself deeper into my beloved shit box with:
-New Air filter
-New starter
-Newer alternator, reading good
-Ground connections show ample voltage, also looking good and have resone connections that looked like shit
-New iginition control module
-New ignition coil
-New spark plugs
-Newer plug wires
If you've read this far, wow...thanks for taking time out of your life for my Canadian born freak show. I'm at a loss for words ha I'm here for any words of advice because obviously I'm willing to throw parts at this toddler for a truck.

UPDATE:
Battery that was newer, (2018), read low volts (so obvious drain there). I checked the cells, two of them were low. I stuck my acessory battery on it (2018, 650cca, small acessory battery) and that started it. It started up, I said oh shit...hopped in and took a test drive, drove to get gas, didn't start at the gas station, I jump it, it starts, I get home, I turn it off, wait maybe 10 seconds...started right up.
This is a hack job response but, get a battery disconnect (https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html) until you locate what's draining your battery. I did it for a year until I found the source of my drain - the little vanity mirror on the sun visor. Its tiny lamp was on all the time.

robhotdog

Reaction score
the heater fuse is sort of a clue, when the blower motor resistors go bad it can cause a battery drain, although a fuse may blow random for whatever reason I would check out the blower motor resistor usually they are visibly melted or nasty looking. even if it looks ok, maybe do a battery drain test and see if pulling that fuse makes any difference
Will not cause a draw! Ign power is Off! Blower resistor failures are caused by over amp draw from fan motor! I know I've Fixed a bunch at chevy

robhotdog

Reaction score
WHAT DO I DO?
97 gmc yukon slt, 5.7, 4x4
Bought this truck and the person said the tranny has just been rebuilt and it went downhill fast. Immediately did the following:
-New tranny
-New torque converter
-New rear driveshaft
-New rear end
-New oil/oil filter
After a week, the hub assembly and driver cv axle blew out so I parked it until I could get all the front end parts. Ok so I start it every couple days to keep the juices flowing. It snows, I don't go out for 4-5 days...battery dead. I charge the battery it fires up. I go out a couple days later, battery dead, I jump it, it starts. Auto Zone test says that battery had an overcharged cell so dud. Finally able to do:
-New hub assemblies
-New cv axles
-New tie rods ends (inner and outer)
-New upper and lower ball joints
-Newer battery, reading good
It ran fine, started right up for a week...ran meh ok like it needed a tune up but good. Last week it just wouldn't start without a jump box. It won't crank sometimes, it won't start. It'll crank sometimes, no start. Dugguduggdudgggdug like the starter is out but it's good. There is a starter bypass that was run when I got the truck, I ran the truck with a new starter with and without the bypass...same thing. Duggudugggduggdugguu. I put the jump box on it and it starts up. I hear the fuel pump engage when I turn the key to on position. I have checked all fuses inside and out and have only found one shit fuse, the heater blower fuse...replaced it and heater blew, and every other one read good. I have tried to hook my scanner up to it but it didn't even recognize the truck. With the above list, I have also sunk myself deeper into my beloved shit box with:
-New Air filter
-New starter
-Newer alternator, reading good
-Ground connections show ample voltage, also looking good and have resone connections that looked like shit
-New iginition control module
-New ignition coil
-New spark plugs
-Newer plug wires
If you've read this far, wow...thanks for taking time out of your life for my Canadian born freak show. I'm at a loss for words ha I'm here for any words of advice because obviously I'm willing to throw parts at this toddler for a truck.

UPDATE:
Battery that was newer, (2018), read low volts (so obvious drain there). I checked the cells, two of them were low. I stuck my acessory battery on it (2018, 650cca, small acessory battery) and that started it. It started up, I said oh shit...hopped in and took a test drive, drove to get gas, didn't start at the gas station, I jump it, it starts, I get home, I turn it off, wait maybe 10 seconds...started right up.
First off put the shotgun away and go buy a good truck battery
Then go have your alternator load tested ! It could be going out! Not unusual for age and milage..if it still goes low voltage after a few days to a draw test. You cannot recharge a battery by jumping and going arround th block. If you park it and leave it get a battery tender. They are cheap insurance your battery will be ready when you twist th key!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will not cause a draw! Ign power is Off! Blower resistor failures are caused by over amp draw from fan motor! I know I've Fixed a bunch at chevy
so...you are telling us there is no hot wire to the blower resistor? and that it's impossible for the blower motor and/or resistor to draw power when the key is off?
because there are whole bunch of cases where this exact thing occurs...maybe not on the obs but certainly on the nbs and later
go look: search "blower motor running with key off" it's well documented
when the blower resistor fails it melts and shorts out and I'm surprised there have not been fire's because of it, maybe there has been and the cause was never determined

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy