Would you move to the next gen or…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until a few days ago, my plan was to move to a 21/22 Tahoe in a couple of years from my current 19 (assuming the current used car market insanity dies down by then).

However… enter the 2023 Toyota Sequoia. So far I love everything about it. Looks so much better than the previous gen school bus that was redesigned back in 2008, estimated at about 23mpg (hybrid), 9k towing and priced between 55-70k.

I’ve owned 3 Tahoes over the last 15 years, so I do love these trucks, but anyone else in the 15-20 GM full size SUV world interested, at least initially, in the Sequoia? I need the towing capacity, so I have to stay in the full size SUV world. Trucks just aren’t my thing for daily driving.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a third generation Chevrolet fanboy in my family. So I wouldn't personally jump to Toyota for that reason.
That being said, I also would stick with Chevy because I've grown up learning how to work on Chevy pushrod V8's, so the ability for me to wrench on the 5.3 easily is another reason I prefer it over other manufacturers. It also has the ability to comfortably tow my Camaro all over the place, so that's good enough for me from a tow capacity standpoint.
So overall, I'm Chevy for life.
Not saying Toyota doesn't make nice SUV's, just don't think I'll ever own one myself.

OP
OP
LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a GM supporter/fan for 25 years. 3 Tahoes (one currently), 3 Traverses, 4 Cadillacs, 7 Camaros (1 currently), 3 Corvettes (1 currently), and cavaliers and equinoxes in between. Without getting into the current state of the world and veering off topic, I’m quite frankly getting tired of the current woke GM bs. And until the release of the Sequoia, I had no other real options for my personal needs. (Sorry, can’t and won’t do Ford again).
That said, I need to drive the Sequoia and get to know much more about it before moving on from GM and the platform I know very well, the good, the bad, the warts and all. My only experience with Toyota was a 96 Lexus I owned years and years ago with 279k miles on it. Incredibly reliable, but everything Lexus from the 90s was incredibly reliable. Not sure how reliable Toyotas have become in the recent years, as I don’t own or follow them.

Matt1t

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ha, agree about the ford statement. Just did that and wont do that again. I just inherited my wife's Tahoe. I typically take over what she has. This is our second Tahoe and I've been pretty pleased with the overall reliability. With that, the wife went to a BMW X5, but she was looking at the Sequoia. We typically do not buy new, but I'd have to see what Toyota has done on the tech side. Riding is some newer 4 runners, I find Toyota to be lacking on technology. I plan on driving this Tahoe until the wheels fall off. Hoping that is well into the 300,000 mile mark. Only 100k currently.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I‘ve owned 15 cars/trucks in my life and GM accounts for eight of them. I’m content with my Denali, but have planned to look at a 22-24 Escalade probably in 25 when prices are hopefully long normalized again and after manufacturing recovers from chip shortages which strips would-be function out of new vehicles. The 21+ is the first generation where I prefer the Escalade to the Denali.

That said….

After watching Doug DeMuro’s review of the new Sequoia Capstone, (and I never thought I’d say this of a sequoia), I REALLY dig that truck! Gonna go drive one at some point to see if it is in fact a worthy contender. I respect Toyota as a brand but never considered one for myself.

So, @LT1ZOB … I feel you!

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last few years I've driven the current Sequoia model as rental vehicles several times and absolutely HATE the way they drive. Bounce, roll, sway, slow steering, under powered and they "feel" twice the size they actually are. Maybe the new model will be different, maybe not...

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always stick to GM products, I will never ride anything other than a Harley but put my wife and kids in BMW's.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other note is parts for toyota are 2 to 5 times as much. Had a buddy replace an alternator on a tacoma, 800 dollar alternator at the time.... I was amused with my 100 dollar one at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons