Would you buy your Yukon/Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a '17 Yukon Denali. Even though I don't tow, I have two kids and there's a lot to like about the Yukon. We take at least one long road trip a year and the comfort is a strong factor. I have a preference for the 6.2 and the 8 speed so that's where the Denali comes in.

I could get comparable room in a Chevy Traverse. Not sure how the new '18's drive though.

After seeing that Consumer Reports ranked the Yukon/Tahoe 8th out of 10 with 51 out of 100 points, would you buy it again?

From their perspective it's completely unreliable, won't handle accident avoidance, etc.
I've had a Surburban and am on my second 4x4 Tahoe. The current fully loaded Z71 has over 150k miles with virtually no problems and no engine or transmission problems.

If I could afford another, I would not hesitate to buy another Tahoe or a Yukon.

MTVP

Reaction score
I'm driving a 2017 Premium Esky. I went from MI. to FL. for the winter . Came back and then to OR. A great ride on the open road. I have no reason not to purchase another one. I just would buy some other vehicle for something different.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's vague.

And consumer reports sucks. GM doesn't pay them as much as Toyota does.

I know you're probably joking, but I think its worth stating that Consumer Reports does not accept any money, or even advertising from companies.

They actually buy all of the cars they test so they don't even put themselves into a position where the auto manufacturers lend them the cars and in the process provide favors, i.e. wine and dine them during the process. Also, when Consumer Reports buys the cars, they do so anonymously so no one from the dealer nor the auto manufacturer knows. Again, to avoid any potential for persuasion or prodding by the car manufactures.

So when Consumer Reports states a fact, one can confidently take it as fact. However, as with any car magazine, they also state opinion, for example, "why do you need a vehicle this big? most families will do fine with a smaller SUV." That would be opinion, but to be fair, they are not trying to pass it along as a fact, just opinion.

Their facts are more like this: "in comparison to other large, full body/frame SUVs, GM receives a 1/5 for quality".

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're probably joking, but I think its worth stating that Consumer Reports does not accept any money, or even advertising from companies.

They actually buy all of the cars they test so they don't even put themselves into a position where the auto manufacturers lend them the cars and in the process provide favors, i.e. wine and dine them during the process. Also, when Consumer Reports buys the cars, they do so anonymously so no one from the dealer nor the auto manufacturer knows. Again, to avoid any potential for persuasion or prodding by the car manufactures.

So when Consumer Reports states a fact, one can confidently take it as fact. However, as with any car magazine, they also state opinion, for example, "why do you need a vehicle this big? most families will do fine with a smaller SUV." That would be opinion, but to be fair, they are not trying to pass it along as a fact, just opinion.

Their facts are more like this: "in comparison to other large, full body/frame SUVs, GM receives a 1/5 for quality".

Dont waste your time dude. Some people can't handle news/information that doesn't fit their world view so they simply label it 'fake'.

Last edited:

MTVP

Reaction score
#chadandhistahoe As a retired GM durability test driver ( MPG). I drove all GM's vehicles as well as the competitive vehicles. I get bored in no time. By the time cars and trucks make it to your dealership I had driven them daily for a long time. I have little desire to own what would be a two year old vehicle to me. Best thing to happen was retiring. Now some of the vehicles seem new to me once again. So yes , give me something different to drive.

Last edited:

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you're probably joking
Yes I was joking but apparently triggered some people.

[emoji23] the Tundra gets ripped every year in those things for being outdated and needing an overhaul.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed. It does need an overhaul. But I feel that way about the GM pickups and RAM as well.
Dont waste your time dude. Some people can't handle news/information that doesn't fit their world view so they simply label it 'fake'.
Not sure if you're referring to me or not. Hopefully not.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My co-worker told me today that his 2017 Yukon XL (SLT) started throwing all kinds of warning lights. The transmission was all of a sudden clunky and hard to get in gear. He only has 8,000 miles.

The dealer told him there are “seals loose” and “something” leaked. He’ll probably need a new transmission. They told him they’re keeping his truck for at least 2-3 weeks.

What’s interesting is the part that was most upsetting to him is that they gave him a Chevy Cruise as a loaner (LOL), when he was planning on taking his family camping next week. So now he’s trying to rent a Suburban from Alamo on his own dime. Poor guy.

This shouldn’t be happening on a practically new vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk