Would you buy your Yukon or Tahoe again?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmad1

Reaction score
We have a '17 LT with 26k and would trade back for our '12. May not buy another one unless Ford continues to put V6s in all of their larger vehicles. If Dodge had a larger size like the Tahoe I might give it a try. Have a couple of issues the dealer says can't be fixed until GM comes up with a fix. Says they will let me know, yeah right...
Buffeting with windows up on driver's side
Noise from under dash on passenger side and under the hood. Replaced fan motor and did not fix the problem. So they replaced the A/C compressor with no luck. Ordered a bracket under a Service Bulletin and it did not fit the '17. Rough idea they say is related to the cylinder deactivation and is normal. So now we wait.

Wambliokiye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up guys...brand new to the forum. I am a current Toyota owner (Tundra and Land Cruiser) and our last 5-6 vehicles have been Toyota or Lexus. Despite the fact that they are boring with not a lot of bells and whistles, the reliability is what has kept me coming back. That said, I came really close to buying a Yukon Denali a couple years ago for my wife until we stumbled onto all the online threads/articles about the booming/buffeting. That's when we decided to stick with Toyota and go with a certified pre-owned '14 Land Cruiser.

My Tundra Limited is an '08 and still in really good shape (only 150k miles) but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new vehicle. That said...I absolutely LOVE the look, size, and features of these Yukons however the nightmare stories that I read online about vehicle problems and/or horror stories about getting shafted by the dealer scares the crap out of me. This is a huge investment to have to deal with a ton of vehicle/dealership problems.

So my question to you is...if you had to do it over again, would you buy another Tahoe or Yukon? There are so many of these things on the road...it is hard for me to understand whether the horror stories and negative reviews online are the minority, or the majority and folks keep buying them anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Welcome From Reno, NV. I love the full size SUVs, my first was a 85 K5 blazer loved it. Since I have had a 93 454 suburban ran that to about 170k no major issues. Then a 98 454 suburban 166k, 2003 escalade 130k and now I have my 07 XL 150k. No major issues that involved a ton of money for repairs just the minor things that keep her running. I always look to buy from an adult owner like an older couple. Old people (love them) always take care of there stuff and its never been hot rodded raced or abused. I have never bought brand new because the new rigs still have bugs to work out! I see it as if you take care of it, it will take care of you. Neglect abuse and miss treat them then expect issues. Only thing is I wish and want to dump a 454 in my XL. But if I had to buy again I would buy the same, hands down. 20 yrs with big suvs from the late 80s, the 90s and 2000s never a major problem. I also have never bought brand new and I have found that a brand new rig still has bugs, a few years older by then all bugs gone and nothing to worry about and I got to put all my cash into upgrades instead of repairs. Thats my 2 cents, yes I would buy again. These are my girls... The Nali I have now and the past ones.20180610_132848_HDR-1.jpg Screenshot_2016-10-22-07-22-21.png 20180202_155901-1.jpg Capture+_2018-05-26-08-56-48.png

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with a 92 GMC Suburban, had bought it used in 96 and in 2001 bought a brand new GMC Yukon XL SLT, was a beautiful truck and honestly never a single mechanical issue, the age and look of the truck was flawless, so nice that in 2010 it was stolen in broad daylight at my work in Irvine. We then searched High and low for a silver Yukon XL and could not find one, but found a Chevy Suburban, purchased brand new a 2011 LT fairly loaded and I have to honestly say that right away it seemed like the Chevy did not have nearly the quality that the GMC version had...I know, I know they are the same trucks, but honestly I think there is better quality control on the GMC production. We had some issues with the Chevy, but it was covered under warranty and for the most part is was a good truck, but was missing some options. That said we decided this last year to get a new GMC Yukon XL and purchased a new late 2017 SLT Production truck in October 2017 and it is truly a nice truck...I think compared to the early versions on this latest platform they fixed some of the issues people have had, but like all of today's cars these things have way more electronics in them and they are much more sensitive than the older generation trucks, but all in all I think it is a great truck. Unfortunately they seem like they are getting more expensive as time goes on...feel like I could have bought a Bentley for how much these things go for now! LOL!

Terry Hurlburt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's up guys...brand new to the forum. I am a current Toyota owner (Tundra and Land Cruiser) and our last 5-6 vehicles have been Toyota or Lexus. Despite the fact that they are boring with not a lot of bells and whistles, the reliability is what has kept me coming back. That said, I came really close to buying a Yukon Denali a couple years ago for my wife until we stumbled onto all the online threads/articles about the booming/buffeting. That's when we decided to stick with Toyota and go with a certified pre-owned '14 Land Cruiser.

My Tundra Limited is an '08 and still in really good shape (only 150k miles) but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new vehicle. That said...I absolutely LOVE the look, size, and features of these Yukons however the nightmare stories that I read online about vehicle problems and/or horror stories about getting shafted by the dealer scares the crap out of me. This is a huge investment to have to deal with a ton of vehicle/dealership problems.

So my question to you is...if you had to do it over again, would you buy another Tahoe or Yukon? There are so many of these things on the road...it is hard for me to understand whether the horror stories and negative reviews online are the minority, or the majority and folks keep buying them anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.
We have had two Denali’s and love them both. The 2014 we lowered, added Willwood brakes and supercharged the 6.2 liter engine. Bought the 2018 last year in November. Absolutely love the vehicle, the ride is great and the mileage is amazing. (We get 25-27 mpg in cruise control at 65-75 mph! Just astounding for a vehicle of this size.) one day soon the 2018 Denali will get supercharged, as the additional power is just what the doctor ordered.
Terry

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 1988 GMC C2500 for nearly 400,000 miles.. A fun truck to work on and improve, but keeping mostly stock. I discovered & bought my "new" 2005 Yukon XL 4wd SLT, ... 1 owner, garaged & maintained.... nearly mint for the age ( 140,000 miles)...... So far it exceeds my expectations & rides like a limo.

( My good 'ol truck was exported to a collector in Germany)....

cekkk

Reaction score
I got my 2014 Denali XL from my daughter with 55,000 miles on it. It now has about 68000, no problems, but I far prefer Expeditions. Got to say though, it's great looking and Ford is just Bland, year after year after year.

We live in horse country and it seems every 3rd or 4th house hold has a Suburban or a Yukon. I think there are only a handful of expeditions in the entire area. Again, I attribute it to a little bit of snobbery as the GMCs and Cadillacs look much better than the Expeditions. And you can't find the Navigator with a magnifying glass

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Denali XL that I bought new in 14. There a quite a few things that I like about it, but the bad things outweigh the good. 1...When using the cruise control on the highway or interstate, the vehicle will actually activates the brakes to slow down. It has a tendency to over accelerate down hill then brake and then it forgets to accelerate on the uphill until it looses 4-5 MPH, so it will vary from the "set speed" 4-5 too high and 4-5 too low. Drives me nuts. The dealership says it is within acceptable range and there is nothing they can do. 2...The brakes (all 4 corners) had to be replaced at 80,000 miles. 80% of my driving is highway / interstate and with previous vehicles, I'm usually at least double that but with this thing accelerating and then braking (cruise control), it is always working the brakes. 3...I had to replace all 4 shocks at 80,000 miles at a cost of over $3,000.00. This would be easier to accept if the shocks made the truck ride better, but it rides like a lumber wagon.

All in all, I love the practicality of the vehicle, but it is very irritating to drive.
80,000 miles on a set of brakes and you’re complaining!?!? You must live on completely flat ground with no traffic and zero rust issues. I’m lucky if a set of brakes lasts me 15,000 miles! But I guess living in the mountains will do that to a vehicle!

Dooba

Reaction score
We bought a 2016 SLT Yukon and when this topic was first posted, I didn’t really want to jump the gun and say that the car’s amazing.

We mainly bought a Yukon because we had a great experience with a 2004 SLT Yukon with the 5.3 even though the GMT800 platform is considered the golden generation. Also,in 2016 Ford’s platform was getting a bit mundane and outdated. We also generally didnt like what a similarly priced Land Cruiser (4.6L V8 Series 200) and Nissan Patrol (5.6L V8) offered. So with that all said, we took the plunge. We didnt get the 2015 model year since its always a safer bet to not get the first year of any new generation vehicle.

So 2 and a half years down the line:

Apple Carplay & Android Auto are a great addition which I extensively use.

Seats are comfortable, not as much as the 04, though. Ventilated seats are a nice plus. However, I had numerous complaints about people sitting behind me feeling the heat being released from the rear vents when I turn it on. The 2017+ models have revised seats so they may have fixed that.

The UI is easy to use and the car in general is extremely practical with all the possible places to store stuff. Never had an issue where we didn’t have enough space when traveling around, so never wished we went the XL route.

The 5.3 is a great engine, always wished I had the 6.2 but its not a lethargic engine, especially with 3.42 gears from the HD trailering package.

Did not notice any of the booming or vibration issues a lot of people talk about here, so I’m thankful for that. Drove around at various constant speeds, even at ones that I wouldn’t really want to admit to haha.

Ride quality is alright and got much better when I put on Michelin Defenders tires, I feel less of the road on the 04 but its on aftermarket shocks & has a much larger sidewall since it has much smaller rims.

Haven’t towed with it, so can’t comment on that.

Third row space is abysmal, so its always down and rarely been used. The load height is higher than whats normally excepted, but I haven’t been bothered by it really.

Headlights on non-Denali & non-LTZ/Premier trims are horrible, easily rectified if you go the LED or HID setup route, ymmv.

The antenna had to be replaced 3 months back since I couldn’t get a GPS signal. It was covered under warranty and didnt affect anything else. All in all, not too worried about it since I don’t really use nav anyways.

Overall, I would buy this vehicle again but I would consider the Denali trim a bit more. Didn’t go the Denali route because there simply wasnt a good deal at the time going on one.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I have been to many forum but this Tahoe forum I am amazed of the quality of people here very helpful . I too come from a back ground of Japanese car and Mercedes I was to unsure after leaving Mercedes for many year of if to try out gm. I got tired of expensive part and maintaince of the Mercedes. I too been worried about the reliability of the Tahoe but I looked around and saw that I think the year with most problem was 16 so I kept out the. 16 year models. I do find the Tahoe has more bell and whistle than the Mercedes . The only thing I regret is the back up camera looks not to clear it just ok comming out of a Mercedes it is day to night on the camera I think it could be better. But then again I still have the factory nylon the the screen haven’t peeled it of yet . I kept it on as a protection not sure is it any good. I too alway s driving non American cars this is my first always concerned about reliability . But after I seen all you Chevy forum member say how reliable you Tahoe been even up 200000 mile on it . I think I can say it a good suv. Only time will tell

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, I truly am impressed with mine. Great truck, living room on wheels for my day to day driving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts