Worth it????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a shop look at it he's blowing smoke pun intended. You may see coolant leaks at the heads, but an oil leak? Oil doesn't flow through the head, coolant does. It's more than likely a leaking valve cover gasket..a whopping $10 part. I had an engine with castech heads and it leak coolant internally which eventually killed my cats and caused all kinds of issues due to the clogged exhaust but none are known to leak oil from the head gasket.

If you not getting a cat deficiency code replace the valve cover gasket and like @swathdiver said enjoy for another 130k miles. The trans will go before the engine and there are guys salivating at the mouth to grab your 170k mile truck because they know it's got lots of life left in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that issue common only to the Castech heads?
mine didn't have the Castech heads but it still happened, it was burning about a quart every 2 weeks, it all worked out in the end though I was still driving it and it got stolen, got it back about a week later checked the oil cap and it was milky so I filed a claim with my insurance. Insurance inspector came out had me pop the hood, he looked at the oil fill cap, walla new engine!

OP
OP
J

Jmagdaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How much oil is the truck using between oil changes???

I would get some brake cleaner and spray the area in question then watch it closely for a bit to see what happens. It will be easier to determine where the oil is coming from.

It’s not using/leaking much.just a qt or 2 between oil changes and I believe that is because of the AFM still being active.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it? Let me work it
I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it
Ti esrever dna ti pilf, nwod gniht ym tup
Ti esrever dna ti pilf, nwod gniht ym tup

Y'all know y'all heard this when you read the title.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LY6/L96 6.0L swap would be my suggestion. That also "fixes" the AFM problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal