Woot ! Another suspension thread !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dusty Diggs

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you like the way it sits and rides now, except for when the trailer is on, then use a load distribution hitch. Looks like this and is easy to set up and if you tow more weight than just the empty trailer you can adjust the tension on the chains to handle it. Would be less money than what you are thinking of doing. This one even has the sway control with it. If you want you can still put in a new set of Moog 81069 springs.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dis...MIgY_z6baz6AIVmB-tBh10tgoHEAQYAyABEgKkZfD_BwE
Thanks , great idea ! Too bad I sold my hitch set-up about 5 years ago (I don't need this anymore moment ) . Reese and Curt are my 2 Go-to's .

OP
OP
Dusty Diggs

Dusty Diggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What exactly are you wanting to accomplish?

If you want it to sit the same but not squat as much under load, then you'll need firmer coils. This would be a firmer ride at all times when unloaded.

If you want it to ride about the same, but still have a rake or sit level when loaded, then you'll need "lift" coils or just add spacers to your existing coils. Spacers won't change the ride quality from what you have now. Lift coils would change the ride quality, maybe very little, maybe a lot. It will depend on the brand and type of coil. Either of these would give a lot of rake.

If you would like to maintain it's current ride quality but adjust accordingly only when you tow, then air shocks or helper bags are the ticket. You can keep a small compressor on board (which would be good to have anyway) and air them up as needed when towing. Any other time, it'd sit and ride just as it does now.

Thanks , Dub ,, I have an old compressor for a Air Ride system from an 86' Custom Cruiser but no controller for in-cab . I don't know if it pushes enough pressure to raise/hold bags up . Any idea how much psi. is needed ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks , Dub ,, I have an old compressor for a Air Ride system from an 86' Custom Cruiser but no controller for in-cab . I don't know if it pushes enough pressure to raise/hold bags up . Any idea how much psi. is needed ?

Those helper bags only require something like 35 psi. You could probably adapt that compressor pretty easily and, if it's in good shape, should put out plenty of pressure. Or, if you got a standard on-board compressor (like those that plug into the 12V power port), you'd be able to air up tires if need-be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep