Wood grain cover up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a great idea. i generally like to do little things like that to my vehicles to make them unique. i have to admit, i am having trouble determining what mods i want and what order they should be done.... rims/tires (17"wheels just don't look right to me) which lift kit to get (3"). any input will be appreciated.

rico387

Reaction score
More pics of the wood grain I covered up I love the way it turned out. I was never a fan of the wood grain
Well done! The only thing that looks worse than fake wood is old fake wood. When I was a Chevy truck salesman, I never heard one person say they were choosing a truck specifically because they liked the fake wood. Yet, the auto manufacturers just can’t let go of it.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
I cannot agree more about the fake wood … and the fake chrome for that matter. Your mod looks great but so many questions!

Did you use an adhesive or heat shrink product? (And care to share what it was/where you got it?)
Were there any pieces you’d recommend treating in place instead of removing?
Any tricks to share?

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
I cannot agree more about the fake wood … and the fake chrome for that matter. Your mod looks great but so many questions!

Did you use an adhesive or heat shrink product? (And care to share what it was/where you got it?)
Were there any pieces you’d recommend treating in place instead of removing?
Any tricks to share?
It’s vinyl wrap I got from Rvinyl.com. It’s was I think $26 for a 12” by 3’ roll very easy to apply. Just have to take the parts off to make it easier.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
It’s vinyl wrap I got from Rvinyl.com. It’s was I think $26 for a 12” by 3’ roll very easy to apply. Just have to take the parts off to make it easier.
Did the 12” roll fit for the center radio bezel or did you pick up a square sheet for that?

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
Did the 12” roll fit for the center radio bezel or did you pick up a square sheet for that?
Yeah it did the radio bezel I think is close to 10”. I used one piece to do it. I still have some left over from doing all that I would of had more if I didn’t tear the first piece for the radio. I cut the outline and kinda tore it so I just ripped that off and did it again.

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
Finally got my steering wheel done. Happy with the results
0E5E8361-2218-41F6-982A-E8430A8B415B.jpeg

Attachments

• 0587CC92-98EC-4D17-AFDC-86CCD9E03D31.jpeg
    0587CC92-98EC-4D17-AFDC-86CCD9E03D31.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 8

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really good, just like it was that way from the factory! I was really worried about the wood when purchasing our '21 as there were none anywhere to look at/test drive and we had to buy it sight unseen. It was hard to tell from pics but GM actually did a good job in these new ones not making the wood look so damn fake and cheesy. There's very little of it and it's dark and blends in really well instead of in your face like they used to do it.

I remember the first time I hopped in my father in laws 2013 escalade and saw the wood trim. BARF city in there. A bunch of silver along with some dark wood and a big chunk of light wood all packed together on the dash. Just gross. How could anybody think that actually looks good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier