Won't register park electrically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazloZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The truck is a 2013 Yukon xl Denali, 6 speed awd. It won't register park or manual from the shifter, even though it physically is in park(I double triple checked this and set the parking brake hard just in case). If I go to neutral, I can start it. But it won't unlock the doors, or even if I unlock it, I can't open th e tailgate. Luckily the hatch glass still opens. So where's the sensor that tells the pcm shifter position? Steering column or at the trans?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, if the bushings, or contacts, in the park position, are out of wack, it will do this.

Edit: I have seen this before on a silverado. The truck had been repoed, and they popped the linkage off at the transmission so they could tow it. It wallowed out the bushing at the Neutral Safety Switch. I cant remember if they replaced the bushing, the shift cable, or the NSS.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s on the trans. The neutral safety switch.
Well the neutral position on it works but it’s not registering the park position, it probably thinks it’s in reverse. It might just need adjusting.

OP
OP
L

LazloZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was the nut that fastens the shift lever to the trans. It must've just been loose, it left all together today and I couldn't shift at all. Luckily I parked where I didn't have to back up and didn't just shut it off and was able to get it home. Took longer to find a nut in the hardware cans than to fix it. Just goes to show you, don't throw out those "spare" nuts and bolts. Also, probably, don't just keep driving it if something like this is happening,lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the nut that fastens the shift lever to the trans. It must've just been loose, it left all together today and I couldn't shift at all. Luckily I parked where I didn't have to back up and didn't just shut it off and was able to get it home. Took longer to find a nut in the hardware cans than to fix it. Just goes to show you, don't throw out those "spare" nuts and bolts. Also, probably, don't just keep driving it if something like this is happening,lol.
Yeah I have a coffee can with all kinds of nuts and bolts off GM's that I keep around. I'm always looking for one. Glad you got it fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9