Won’t fill Very strong odor of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have a 2010 avalanche. Recently it will pop out a few times when filling. No big deal I was figuring it was a vent valve or charcoal canister. Thanks

Remove the charcoal canister and check to see it the pellets fall out, if they do the pellets might be in the the fuel lines. Replace the canister and blow out the lines.

Regarding the fuel odor, check for leaks like the other members suggested.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience. It was related to my fuel pump and gas on top of the tank where it was no longer sealed (gasket I think). Tank was dropped and new fuel pump/assembly installed. When I needed to replace the vent valve assembly, there was no gas odor, just an Evap code and issues with filling.

Fred34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen as well. Went to my mechanic and we worked together to drop the tank. Fuel vent nipple was broken off. We did have a bear of a time trying to get the old pump out. Took three try’s before we finally got the correct pump for the suburban from the jobber. Back in was a hell of a job too. Glad that was over with !!! All day job, plussss !!!

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point I’m assuming it’s a gas leak somewhere the smell has gotten worse. Gonna drop the tank and see what’s the deal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At this point I’m assuming it’s a gas leak somewhere the smell has gotten worse. Gonna drop the tank and see what’s the deal.

Get a few cans of penetrant and spray all the bolts/nuts you can see and let them soak for a day or two.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I figured out the issue. Turns out it wasn't the fuel pump hard lines. It was the feed line that runs from the plastic lines off the tank to the fuel rail. It was leaking right at the braided bend which would explain the terrible smell in the cab. Didn't have to drop the tank but man was that a pain to get in and in proper orientation.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok so I figured out the issue. Turns out it wasn't the fuel pump hard lines. It was the feed line that runs from the plastic lines off the tank to the fuel rail. It was leaking right at the braided bend which would explain the terrible smell in the cab. Didn't have to drop the tank but man was that a pain to get in and in proper orientation.

If they made it easy, anyone could do it. It takes a pro, like yourself, to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu