Won’t fill Very strong odor of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 avalanche. Recently it will pop out a few times when filling. No big deal I was figuring it was a vent valve or charcoal canister. A month or so later it absolutely reeks of gas when standing next to it. No lights on. Runs great no hesitation no hard starts. Looking for suggestions at this point I think it’s more than the vent valve. Before I go drop the tank and start replacing parts I’m hoping for some tips in the right direction. Thanks

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the fuel pump rusted and a line broke. It has happened to many of us. Replacement pulp is the solution but it can be a bear to get out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am with @cfmistry on this. The very strong smell points to a leak and is likely rusted thru where the fill neck attaches. If something has shifted there that could explain a moved/pinched hose. This is all just guesswork till you drop it but I don't think it is safe to drive if the smell is that strong.

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the pump lines, not the fill line. Ive done the same on my Yukon. The Rock Auto pump/sender I used doesnt read the fuel level correctly so watch out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Most likely the pump lines, not the fill line. Ive done the same on my Yukon. The Rock Auto pump/sender I used doesnt read the fuel level correctly so watch out.

But he said will not fill without clicking off several times. What am I missing?

dubyagee01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But he said will not fill without clicking off several times. What am I missing?

I would start by checking the vent line / charcoal canister. If the line is full of charcoal then the canister has failed. Its a closed loop venting system though. Any smell of fuel means a breach.

My truck? Id drop the tank, check everything and replace the canister, fuel pump at minimum.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could get or borrow an endoscope and inspect the top of the fuel tank, and the lines.

That is a good idea.

If you can’t borrow one, or get a cheap rental/loan from your FLAPS, you can buy one that will work with an Android smart phone for like $20 on Amazon, a little more for an iPhone compatible model. The only downside to going the later cheap and dirty route is they likely have plastic fiber optics, which may make gas tank inspections a relatively short lived affair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts