Wiring fog lights to run independently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so I ended up wiring the fog lights to act as the DRL. now the fogs come on just as the DRL would and still function normally when using the button

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't make it permanent because I didn't use a diode but not sure if I would need it in this case. I jumped a wire from a blown DRL fuse to the fog using a spare wire I had from an old harness. do I need the diode? I do have some diodes but can't remember what number they are. and right now I don't have any crimps or shrink tubes. just a soldering kit and electrical tape

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I didn't make it permanent because I didn't use a diode but not sure if I would need it in this case. I jumped a wire from a blown DRL fuse to the fog using a spare wire I had from an old harness. do I need the diode? I do have some diodes but can't remember what number they are. and right now I don't have any crimps or shrink tubes. just a soldering kit and electrical tape

Since you are using a blown fuse, then no diode wouldn't be necessary since it can't back feed power to the original DRLs.... even if it did, the worst that would happen is the DRLs would turn on with the fog lights.

GM runs power to most of the accessories constantly and switches them using the ground side.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely won't send power towards the headlights but what about power being sent back to the bcm or whatever controls it?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
definitely won't send power towards the headlights but what about power being sent back to the bcm or whatever controls it?

It would send power back into the power side of the fuse, which already has power constantly because it is the fuse box.

As mentioned earlier... the switches and BCM control everything by switching (turning on/off) the ground going to whatever it is... in this case the DRLs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne