Wireless charging is 2015i and 16 tahoes and suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the wireless charging systems working out for you.

I have a 2015i suburban and the wireless charging system did not like to work with my iphone6 (yes I have a qi compatible antena). It worked with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 6 without problem.

About a month ago it pretty much stopped altogether.

On her 16 Tahoe both phones work without issue.

How is everyone's experience.

Obxhoops

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How is the wireless charging systems working out for you.

I have a 2015i suburban and the wireless charging system did not like to work with my iphone6 (yes I have a qi compatible antena). It worked with my wife's Samsung Galaxy 6 without problem.

About a month ago it pretty much stopped altogether.

On her 16 Tahoe both phones work without issue.

How is everyone's experience.
I have the Bezalel Lattiude phone case for my 2016 Yukon Denali. It works great on my iPhone 6. You just have to point the home button towards the front of the vehicle for it to charge.

DCYukon

Reaction score
my 2015i works with my S6 Edge but I spoke with an engineer that works in that division and the 2016 has a "Version 2" of the surface charger and has a faster charge option and is he thought it would be somethihat could be made to retrofit (new surface charger for older one) but that the connection clip is different (but has the same wires in ite thought) so there would be more than just swapping them out.

Bottom line, they are different so having different results is not surprising.

DCYukon

Reaction score
my 2015i works with my S6 Edge but I spoke with an engineer that works in that division and the 2016 has a "Version 2" of the surface charger and has a faster charge option and is he thought it would be somethihat could be made to retrofit (new surface charger for older one) but that the connection clip is different (but has the same wires in ite thought) so there would be more than just swapping them out.

Bottom line, they are different so having different results is not surprising.

DCYukon

Reaction score
Why would you need to speak with gm engineers about this?

Wasn't any service/warranty issue, I just so happened to be sharing a cab to convention center for CES earlier this year with one of the guys from Detroit who works on this specific part. I am "that guy" and upon realizing he had dirt on the gizmos of my favorite ride, I pestered him about 2016 differences and he elaborated the information I stated earlier that the surface charging parts from 2015i to 2016 are different (Gen 1 to Gen 2) and that the retrofit was likely do-able but that the new model has a different connector.

He also mentioned that the Android Auto integration was a real pain in the ass and that is why it is still not released yet and the Apple version is (for the upgraded 2016 hardware).

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I thought I was that guy.

The dealership has ordered a new console from the plant for me. It's been on overnight shipping since Wednesday I hope it's doable because I like this feature

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now it's Tuesday. That's some overnighting.

6 weeks since I went to the dlrship

FogDucker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had troubles with my S6 and Note 3 (which the S6 replaced) charging. They would stop charging after a while, seemingly randomly. My dealership replaced the console lid, but same problems. Some experimenting paid off. It looks like the sweet spot is limited and that small movements 'disconnected' the charge. They may not have put enough coils in the charger. (The pads I have use 3 coils - solid connection in any orientation.)

The carefully cut piece of wood prevents any movement and maintains charger connectivity. Not pretty, but it works!

uploadfromtaptalk1457478902032.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got the 15i suburban, there were 2 upgrades I like, one was the hands free tailgate and the other is the wireless charger. Neither work correctly. The hands free tailgate has closed on me more than once, and the wireless charger seems to work for no one.

I got a settlement from someone else's class action lawsuit over 1.5 gallons of gas. And a few years ago GM sent out some refunds due to heated washer fluid options being removed.

GM should fix the problem in a timely manner or refund the difference in price from the 15 and 15i.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins