Wireless CarPlay skipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thanhartsock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I test drove a 2021 LT Tahoe yesterday. I connected my iPhone with wireless Apple CarPlay, and noticed that the music was skipping every few seconds. I also tried it in a 2021 high country suburban and had the same issue. Does the wireless CarPlay work well?

GeauxTahoeGeaux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my Tahoe on Thursday and on the drive home had the exact same issue. It was happening with music and calls. A skip is a good term, I kept saying “short mute”. It would be silent for half a second.

Since then, I haven’t had a single problem though and I’ve had calls and music and it’s been flawless.

Strange...

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The same thing happens fairly often in my new Denali. I'd say it happens maybe 10% of the time.

Another annoying thing that happens fairly often is that CarPlay just outright doesn't even connect to my iPhone, wired or wireless. At first I thought it might be my phone specifically, but then I tried connecting CarPlay to my work iPhone and my wife's iPhone and both had the same result. To fix the issue I'd have to shut the vehicle off and exit the vehicle so the screen would turn off. Then after a minute get back into the vehicle and power everything back up, CarPlay connects again just fine. I noticed if I stay in the driver seat and just open and close the door to get the screen to turn off, it doesn't resolve the issue, maybe because the key fob is still recognized as in the vehicle and it doesn't shut everything down completely. Looks like the infotainment system runs off a Linux based operating system so I'm hoping the software bugs can be worked out pretty easily with a simple update.

I've made my complaints about it in a couple surveys, but not sure how often GM actually pays any attention to the details or comments that their customers leave in surveys, or how they prioritize the issues brought up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a common issue reported on many sites, it appears to be a GM software issue and you likely will have to wait for a update to come out for a fix, in the meantime use the cable

OP
OP
T

thanhartsock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. That’s discouraging. I hope they are working on a fix.

The same thing happens fairly often in my new Denali. I'd say it happens maybe 10% of the time.

Another annoying thing that happens fairly often is that CarPlay just outright doesn't even connect to my iPhone, wired or wireless. At first I thought it might be my phone specifically, but then I tried connecting CarPlay to my work iPhone and my wife's iPhone and both had the same result. To fix the issue I'd have to shut the vehicle off and exit the vehicle so the screen would turn off. Then after a minute get back into the vehicle and power everything back up, CarPlay connects again just fine. I noticed if I stay in the driver seat and just open and close the door to get the screen to turn off, it doesn't resolve the issue, maybe because the key fob is still recognized as in the vehicle and it doesn't shut everything down completely. Looks like the infotainment system runs off a Linux based operating system so I'm hoping the software bugs can be worked out pretty easily with a simple update.

I've made my complaints about it in a couple surveys, but not sure how often GM actually pays any attention to the details or comments that their customers leave in surveys, or how they prioritize the issues brought up.

OP
OP
T

thanhartsock

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I bought my Tahoe on Thursday and on the drive home had the exact same issue. It was happening with music and calls. A skip is a good term, I kept saying “short mute”. It would be silent for half a second.

Since then, I haven’t had a single problem though and I’ve had calls and music and it’s been flawless.

Strange...

SteveW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed it but I've also noticed it in the exact same places over and over again. It is likely a signal on the same frequency killing the connection briefly. Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto actually use a private wifi network (not Bluetooth) to communicate. There are a lot of things out there on 2.4gig and 5gig.

Sinewave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have this issue when my phone is in my pocket. When placed on the wireless charger there is no skipping. As much tech as there is in these vehicles we are all Beta testers at this point.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed it but I've also noticed it in the exact same places over and over again. It is likely a signal on the same frequency killing the connection briefly. Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto actually use a private wifi network (not Bluetooth) to communicate. There are a lot of things out there on 2.4gig and 5gig.
^ This exactly. There are 2 places on our usual route that each and every time we pass through that area the music cuts out briefly. It doesn't stop playing on the phone (time keeps passing on whatever song is playing) but it stops playing sound from the yukon's speakers. Never had this issue in our VW sportwagen when connected via bluetooth so it's some kind of issue with the gm software it seems