Wipers and Windows and Radio, Oh No.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm Krusty. This is my first post on this forum seeing as I just bought my first Yukon SLT 2wd. It is a 1996 with 155,550 and I'm having a few issues with this old girl, and hoping this forum will help. I've read twenty plus pages trying to find someone with the same problem, but only found the opposite issue. My problem is intermittent, this truck is keeping the power on to the wipers, windows and radio after the key is removed. Even when the radio is off, the clock stays on. It didn't do it two weeks ago when I got it, but started about 5 days ago. Yesterday I need to replace the starter so I had the battery disconnected. After replacing the starter and hooking up the battery, the wipers radio and window worked correctly, all three quit when you removed the keys then opened the door. Then today, they went back to being live after removing the keys. So, I thought I would disconnect the battery again for a few hours and see if it would reset, but it didn't. On a different note, I noticed tonight, if I use the window lockout switch on the driver's side door, it locks out the drivers ability to operate any of the windows, but the other switches on the other three door still work, when I turn the lockout off, all 7 switches work. All of this with the keys in my pocket. I don't know if these two issues are related, but both electrical. My grandpa always said if it don't work, it's the ground, pretty much every time boy, it's the ground. Is he still right after all these years? Thank you for your taking the time.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those items are all hot when the ignition is in "accessory" or "run".

It's the same function for the radio and wiper circuits.

C190E279-FEC9-48B1-A681-54357C27A38F_zpsssfsaaf6.gif

The yellow wire at the master window switch connector is your power. While checking for voltage at that cavity, you could try wiggling the ignition lock cylinder and see if it cuts the power. If I was going to throw a part at it, it would be a new ignition switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Krusty

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those items are all hot when the ignition is in "accessory" or "run".

It's the same function for the radio and wiper circuits.

C190E279-FEC9-48B1-A681-54357C27A38F_zpsssfsaaf6.gif

The yellow wire at the master window switch connector is your power. While checking for voltage at that cavity, you could try wiggling the ignition lock cylinder and see if it cuts the power. If I was going to throw a part at it, it would be a new ignition switch.

Why thank you for the input. I did realize all three were accessory items, and kinda wondered if it was the ignition switch. I will check that yellow wire and give the switch a wiggle. I've thrown a bunch of parts into this truck already, an ignition switch is relatively easy, so I may give it a try. Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
Krusty

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well the new ignition switch came in, I installed it, and the same problem persists. Any more ideas? And if anyone needs an ignition switch, let me know, I have a spare. I got under the truck and noticed the copper body and block wires had rotted off this truck. Down here in the salt air this is common. I replaced them, but they weren't the problem either. Thanks in advance for any more ideas.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a wild idea, but as trucks get older, the possibility of an owner doing some " custom" wiring gets more likely. can you see anywhere near the fuse panel or under the dash where anyone might have tapped in or spliced?

OP
OP
Krusty

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just a wild idea, but as trucks get older, the possibility of an owner doing some " custom" wiring gets more likely. can you see anywhere near the fuse panel or under the dash where anyone might have tapped in or spliced?
I was amazed when I opened up the dash, I think I was the first one in there. This is the most unmolested vehicle I've owned in years. The truck has only had two owners, both senior citizens.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power to the windows and radio goes through the ignition switch and to the fuse panel, so if the switch isn't the issue, then I'd guess you have something feeding power to that circuit. Check the brown wire (circuit #4) between the ignition switch and the fuse panel. There's a splice there (#201), and since the windows and radio are working regardless of ignition position, it must be getting voltage upstream of that on the ignition switch side. That splice is in the steering column somewhere.

E9786B3C-A52C-495F-B14C-AE70802F3FB4_zpscy2lhdzk.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krusty

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The power to the windows and radio goes through the ignition switch and to the fuse panel, so if the switch isn't the issue, then I'd guess you have something feeding power to that circuit. Check the brown wire (circuit #4) between the ignition switch and the fuse panel. There's a splice there (#201), and since the windows and radio are working regardless of ignition position, it must be getting voltage upstream of that on the ignition switch side. That splice is in the steering column somewhere.

E9786B3C-A52C-495F-B14C-AE70802F3FB4_zpscy2lhdzk.gif

Thanks for the info and the diagram. I'll have to check all of this when the truck gets back, it just left for Vermont. A friend borrowed it for a week. Once again, thank you for the help, I will keep you updated.

bacon612

Reaction score
Just a thought. Maybe theres a resistor in the body control module that is stuck? I had an issue that randomy my wipers, windows and radio would go out on me. Turned out it was a solder point in my body control module that had broken. A new BCM fixed the issue for me? Mine (99 OBS denali) was in my center console under the cupholder. I could give that location a wack when I had the issue and then sometimes it would give me use of my wipers for a few miles ;) Good Luck

OP
OP
Krusty

Krusty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I let some friends borrow the Yukon for a road trip, told them to turn off the radio when they got out and drive it every day to keep it charged. On about day three of their trip the problem went away. They said They noticed the radio went off with the key and everything was working as it should. So I guess it healed up?? Ghost in the machine IMG_3170.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094