Windshield wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I’m with @HiHoeSilver on this.

If you through warm/hot water on a windshield in the middle of a Midwest winter, the thermal shock will shatter your glass. Seen it when I was a teenager. A guy from Texas moved in next door and was making fun of me being a hick and scrapping my windshield. He said “this is how you get ice off of a windshield” as he threw a pan of warm water on his windshield only to get a loud boom as the windshield shattered.

I reached into my trunk and handed him my spare scrapper and told him to use it the next time after he gets his windshield replaced.

With dials set to 90 and fan on high, my dash vents are my scraper. Lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with @HiHoeSilver on this.

If you throw warm/hot water on a windshield in the middle of a Midwest winter, the thermal shock will shatter your glass. Seen it when I was a teenager. A guy from Texas moved in next door and was making fun of me being a hick and scrapping my windshield. He said “this is how you get ice off of a windshield” as he threw a pan of warm water on his windshield only to get a loud boom as the windshield shattered.

I reached into my trunk and handed him my spare scrapper and told him to use it the next time after he gets his windshield replaced.
Glad I don’t live back there- I’ve used a pitcher or 2 of hot tap water on my windshield and side glass for years here in the PNW for years and never broke any glass. But it never gets much below freezing either.

Ss68chvll

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I worked in commercial retail auto parts for 17 years selling anything from Trico, Bosch and Rainx to my shops. I had access to all the brands and tried them all. I do a huge amount of interstate driving in the rain at high speeds. Every blade I’ve tried would chatter past 60mph. Rainx is the devil. Haven’t used it or the blades in years. Even with all the access to the different brands of blades I have found the the genuine oem blade from GM works the best and last the longest. I started running the oem bladed on my wife’s 06 G6 GTP. Since then I’ve ran the oem on our 07 Tahoe (rest in peace old girl, she saved my life my wife and then 4 year old son in a head on crash with a dumb ass), 11 Cadillac XRS and now on my 15 Tahoe and wife’s 17 Yukon and usually averaged 2 years per set averaging 38k a year on each vehicle. You can get the oem blades for less than the best Trico or other top of the line blades at the big box chain parts stores.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked in commercial retail auto parts for 17 years selling anything from Trico, Bosch and Rainx to my shops. I had access to all the brands and tried them all. I do a huge amount of interstate driving in the rain at high speeds. Every blade I’ve tried would chatter past 60mph. Rainx is the devil. Haven’t used it or the blades in years. Even with all the access to the different brands of blades I have found the the genuine oem blade from GM works the best and last the longest. I started running the oem bladed on my wife’s 06 G6 GTP. Since then I’ve ran the oem on our 07 Tahoe (rest in peace old girl, she saved my life my wife and then 4 year old son in a head on crash with a dumb ass), 11 Cadillac XRS and now on my 15 Tahoe and wife’s 17 Yukon and usually averaged 2 years per set averaging 38k a year on each vehicle. You can get the oem blades for less than the best Trico or other top of the line blades at the big box chain parts stores.
hmm I found that the oem blades lift practically straight off at about 80mph or less leaving me with 3/4 of a window not cleaned, completely useless at that point.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm I found that the oem blades lift practically straight off at about 80mph or less leaving me with 3/4 of a window not cleaned, completely useless at that point.
I also have had the OEM blades lift at even lower speeds, like at 70 it seemed they started leaving streaks or complete areas with no contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal