Windshield damaged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glass is actually pretty cheap. search around your area and call for quote, the HUD units add a different mix to things but if you don't have one then its easy peasy. i second the notion of avoiding safelite. they are a big name that will get it done but not for a lack of cast and without care for your vehicle or quality. a smaller local shop will make sure your happy with less cost

HUD unit, no but what about the cameras for lane assist?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HUD unit, no but what about the cameras for lane assist?
HUD changes everything. For that I would go OEM.
Edit: you don’t have HUD? Do the lane assist cameras show up on the windshield? The cameras themselves aren’t IN the windshield if that’s what you’re asking.

Last edited:

Cb2004mj

Reaction score
the cameras are usually located in the black housing behind your rear view mirror. the box glues or mounts to the glass back. isn't heart surgery and its the same as pulling the rear view mirror as far as the glass tech is concerned. either way, if its a competent shop/tech this should be a non-issue. it sux you guys/gals don't have glass coverage. down in florida we have a one shield per year thing were we can get a new windshield every year on one vehicle due to high sands in the wind blasting our glass. makes it great when i buy a new vehicle that has issues, call insurance a week later and setup my glass and tint guy to both do their work and it cost me nothing but time.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the frontview camera, do yourself and favor and buy nothing but the OEM glass and use the installer your dealer recommends. The OEM glass has locating pins that the aftermarket glass doesn’t have which makes it more difficult to get it positioned correctly and the height also matters (thickness or the urethane). If the glass isn’t positioned correctly, you’ll get service front camera messages randomly.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the frontview camera, do yourself and favor and buy nothing but the OEM glass and use the installer your dealer recommends. The OEM glass has locating pins that the aftermarket glass doesn’t have which makes it more difficult to get it positioned correctly and the height also matters (thickness or the urethane). If the glass isn’t positioned correctly, you’ll get service front camera messages randomly.
Experience?

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not trying to disrespect but calling bologna on this. Didn’t go OEM and it’s perfectly fine. Crash sensor illuminated when I got close to someone and the camera kept me in the lane. Only thing I haven’t tested in the rain sensing wipers. Went to a place called Quality Glass in South Plainfield NJ. Cost me $420 out of pocket. Safelite wanted $430 + $300 to recalibrate the camera which is BS cause it’s a self calibrating unit.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, this is why I don't post much. Did my post say it was impossible with aftermarket glass? No. I said it has to be installed correctly which is more difficult with aftermarket glass. I see these trucks every day, you only see yours. I'm giving advise to help someone not have problems over trying to save a few bucks. You can take it or not, it really doesn't matter to me. My vehicles are good. The camera is not a self calibrating unit but GM does say it isn't necessary to recalibrate with a windshield replacement [if the windshield is installed correctly]. Most of the problems I see were caused by Safelite.

Eric Dortch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I came across this thread when searching for information on how to install lane assist cameras on my 2015 Yukon SLT. I want to install aftermarket lane assist cameras on my Yukon to connect into my navtool unit. I see there is something already installed on the side view mirror. Is that the lane assist sensor? It there a way to take it out and install a camera that will allow me to keep the feature of the factory lane assist (ex. Vibrating seats, light on the mirror when a car is in blind spot, etc.)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this thread when searching for information on how to install lane assist cameras on my 2015 Yukon SLT. I want to install aftermarket lane assist cameras on my Yukon to connect into my navtool unit. I see there is something already installed on the side view mirror. Is that the lane assist sensor? It there a way to take it out and install a camera that will allow me to keep the feature of the factory lane assist (ex. Vibrating seats, light on the mirror when a car is in blind spot, etc.)
Why not just buy OEM?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way Way back my neighbor went thru glass repair school when it was a new thing. Had a great business. Then insurance got involved. Preferred providers, Claims payouts late, Just became Nasty. Around that time I got a cracked windshield, asked my parts guy for a referral- Went to shop. Got 3 prices. Cash and carry. !st- insurance- $325 , 2nd insurance w deductable $225, 3rd cash- $80. All with me installing and came with seal and big tube of Urethane. I wonder if our health insurance is going to work the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan