Winch installs on Tahoe PPV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gn7p71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SETINA makes a winch-ready push bumper, and I am sure other manufacturers have winch ready bumper solutions too, but I have only ever seen them used on the Tahoe SSV...has anyone installed a winch on a Tahoe PPV?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
You may wish to clarify what model you are discussing, this is the 15-20 model section and your sig says 2012?

OP
OP
G

gn7p71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have a 2012 Tahoe PPV, however I opted to pose this question in the 2015-'20 trucks section for two reasons: 1.) I am thinking of upgrading to a 2015-'20 truck at some point, and 2.) Since 2015 was the first year that PPV was available in both 2WD and 4WD, I figured these would be the ones people would most likely want to add a winch to

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Westin offers the Max Winch tray. This can be used as a stand alone, or you can add it to the Westin Elite XD push bar. They also offer the HDX brush guard with the winch mount. I am currently researching options for my 2015 LT 4x4 Tahoe.

I'm leaning toward adding the bracket to the Elite XD pushbar, or modifying a Rough Country EXO winch mount to work. Please excuse my horrible photo shop skills of the EXO attached. I have pretty much found nothing online for the 15+. Google searches have shown very little. Westin doesn't even have a picture of their Max Winch system installed on a Tahoe.

Adobe_20211130_124634.jpg
Screenshot_20211130-173330_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can install it with no issues on a PPV. Due to the new generation, you would probably be looking at this being a special order item from Setina with an 8-12 week lead time. I'd recommend going with a Westin EliteXD with WinchTray as both are commercially available whereas Setina you would have to order from your local Setina dealer.

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a PPV, but just installed a winch on my 2020 Z71 Midnight Edition. Went with the Westin Max Winch Tray, along with their Tow Hooks (You will lose your stock Tow Hooks), and the Parking Sensor Relocation Kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 20

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a PPV, but just installed a winch on my 2020 Z71 Midnight Edition. Went with the Westin Max Winch Tray, along with their Tow Hooks (You will lose your stock Tow Hooks), and the Parking Sensor Relocation Kit.

That's wicked.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELL DONE @Tall56Dog !
There are really very few options available for the '15-20 years. As with so many other "off-road/overlanding" aftermarket parts, companies are just not producing items for this platform. Unfortunately related to market share and owner demographics, it's not worth the time and $ for big companies to produce parts to upgrade our rigs. Perfect example is fender flares. Virtually NO options in the marketplace for us to choose from.

I agree with the winch tray idea. I have also seen a front tow receiver available. This could be installed and then when you are ready to use the winch, install the tray and winch and hookup. This way, you wouldn't HAVE to drive around w/the weight of the winch and tray all the time. You could also just get the tray and winch and mount the rear hitch when needed, but then it's mounted on the back of your rig...that gets you out but not further down the trail

Here's the idea:

winch setup example FINAL.jpg

Safe Travels!

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WELL DONE @Tall56Dog !
There are really very few options available for the '15-20 years. As with so many other "off-road/overlanding" aftermarket parts, companies are just not producing items for this platform. Unfortunately related to market share and owner demographics, it's not worth the time and $ for big companies to produce parts to upgrade our rigs. Perfect example is fender flares. Virtually NO options in the marketplace for us to choose from.

I agree with the winch tray idea. I have also seen a front tow receiver available. This could be installed and then when you are ready to use the winch, install the tray and winch and hookup. This way, you wouldn't HAVE to drive around w/the weight of the winch and tray all the time. You could also just get the tray and winch and mount the rear hitch when needed, but then it's mounted on the back of your rig...that gets you out but not further down the trail

Here's the idea:

View attachment 365646

Safe Travels!
I thought about both of those options. Originally I was going to go with the front hitch from Curt. I actually bought the hitch, but changed my mind. A few issues...one, the hitch requires you to lose the skid plate, two, the hitch can't support the full pulling force of the winch I wanted to use (12K Lbs.), and three, I just didn't like the way the hitch looked sticking out under the front of thew vehicle.

The winch cradle is great for some, but I just wanted a more permanent solution, and again, the hitch only supports I think a 9000 LB straight pull force. With the size of our Tahoe's, I didn't want to go smaller than a 12K winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts