Will z95 shocks work with z55 system, any definitive answer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am contimplating buying some Z95 shocks a ran across for a good price. They are used, and came off a 2014 Esky, with low miles (40K), for 200 bucks.

Have a couple questions for you @Doubeleive
I am going to try and put these on my 2006 Esky

The dimensions are only 1/4 inch different in overall height, and 1/8 inch in expanded/collapsed length. So I am not worried about anything here.

They are generationally different, does this affect what you are trying to accomplish? These would be going on a generation that is different than what you have (NBS vs NNBS), any affects here?

Trying to help the community as a whole, if the information I would get from this would not help you in what you are trying to accomplish, and others involved on the thread, I might consider going a different route.

Anything I am not thinking about that would affect your goals?

I still cant understand why the Z95 shocks are cheaper than the Z55 shocks, being that the Z95 shocks are supposed to have more engineering and science to them.
I am not aware of any of the nbs having z95, the z95 shocks have electronic dampening and therefore have a electrical connector on each shock, if the nbs have some form of electronic ride control the connector may be different

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do have a electrical connector, and from all the research I have done, the connectors are the same. Wont know until I get the shocks.

Not sure if this idea will help in your endeavors thou.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do have a electrical connector, and from all the research I have done, the connectors are the same. Wont know until I get the shocks.

Not sure if this idea will help in your endeavors thou.
well if it rides ok and you don't get any error codes.... even then without a scientific test, no telling.....

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if it rides ok and you don't get any error codes.... even then without a scientific test, no telling.....
I have a Tech2, and I could try it, even with no codes, and see if its reading correctly? Would this even help you at all?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Tech2, and I could try it, even with no codes, and see if its reading correctly? Would this even help you at all?
couldn't hurt, I haven't messed around with what the tech2 reads from the shocks other than to get a code definition, I had a loose connector on one it took me right to it.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. the Z95 shocks from a 2013 Escalade with 42k miles are installed, in my 2006 Esky where my Z55 Air-Ride shocks used to be.

No error messages, no odd voltages in the Tech2. The ride is amazingly different. I dont know if its better or worse.. Just different.

Its hard to judge ride, my old bags were completely blown, and I think my drivers side shock might have been blown as well. A little bit of oil came out of the air tube.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. the Z95 shocks from a 2013 Escalade with 42k miles are installed, in my 2006 Esky where my Z55 Air-Ride shocks used to be.

No error messages, no odd voltages in the Tech2. The ride is amazingly different. I dont know if its better or worse.. Just different.

Its hard to judge ride, my old bags were completely blown, and I think my drivers side shock might have been blown as well. A little bit of oil came out of the air tube.
ya going from blown out to working properly I'm sure is a big difference, I could tell the difference with mine just having a slow leak and being spongy

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in a few weeks, I am heading to my cabin, and I will be able to test how well they function on a 50mph dirt road. That should tell me all I need to know..

Now the big question.. Do I replace my front shocks with Z95, or Z55???

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in a few weeks, I am heading to my cabin, and I will be able to test how well they function on a 50mph dirt road. That should tell me all I need to know..

Now the big question.. Do I replace my front shocks with Z95, or Z55???
if there are no errors I don't see why not if the price is right.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes me wonder if the z95 thing is just some gm shenanigan and the system could be used on any of the trucks with electronic shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9