Will this work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

ecoli_23

Reaction score
Excellon is Kenwoods better model line. They are nice, but just curious about why you want this specific one. I didn't search Kenwoods site, but it doesn't look like this one has navigation, or any video screen. It looks like its a double din touch screen. You can get all these features and more in a single din for $100. Most of the single dins will have a front side USB input. Just to make sure, this is an audio input device. This will not allow you to add an amplifier. What other audio input source are you trying to add? If you do add any amplifier to your factory head unit, you will not have the function "time alignment". Which means any speakers coming through your amplifier could be slightly delayed throwing off the sound.

MY OPINION HERE, (so feel free to blow this off): I don't like the 7" touch screens. The 6.2"-6" double dins will have a few buttons on or knobs on the side to make it easier to do some of the basics like change track/station or change the volume easier by feel, so you don't hit the wrong button on a touch screen or need to divert your eyes to find it. Not sure if you have steering wheel controls or not. Was there any specific function or reason for this specific model? Not trying to change your mind, just throwing out some questions that might help get you where you want to go.

Heres a few I can think of off the top of my head. Most will have weekly deals, specials, clearance, open box (returned may or may not be new). Not sure how flexible you are on which one you want.
Crutchfield.com
woofersetc.com
parts-express.com
pacificstereo.com
techronics.com

Also for electronics
Frys.com ( I have found stuff here that was out of stock/discontinued EVERYWHERE ELSE before). They also have some good weekly and daily deals if you share with them your email.

you have valid points....my first stereo i fell in love with was a kenwood flip out dvd....they dont make them anymore and if you find em they are like 800...as for the model i picked, i must have clicked wrong link, id like to get a HU with dvd, touch screen back up camera, nav option.. etc etc....i dont have any steering wheel controls....but my thought was add a HU and use factory wiring to run bose stuff and use the sub pre outs from the HU to run the subs......

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you found a big name brand with Nav for less than $300, with all that you are probably closer to a minimum of $500 unless you find something for black Friday (which you should be able to). You should run new speaker wiring if you are using more than 40-50w per channel. Most head units are 50w x 4 MAX (not RMS), or less. If you get one that has 50w X 4 RMS or even better an amp for your door speakers, you will want better door speakers than the factory Bose. If you do anything more than the smallest amp, you will also want to do the BIG 3 upgrade. Many people do it anyways because it helps your entire electrical system. Not sure what subs you are looking at, (size, location, power), but if you are looking at something bigger that will need to take up cargo space, then I'd be looking for a package deal on Craigslist. You could probably find everything you are looking for and then some, maybe even help to install it for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

OP
OP
E

ecoli_23

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you found a big name brand with Nav for less than $300, with all that you are probably closer to a minimum of $500 unless you find something for black Friday (which you should be able to). You should run new speaker wiring if you are using more than 40-50w per channel. Most head units are 50w x 4 MAX (not RMS), or less. If you get one that has 50w X 4 RMS or even better an amp for your door speakers, you will want better door speakers than the factory Bose. If you do anything more than the smallest amp, you will also want to do the BIG 3 upgrade. Many people do it anyways because it helps your entire electrical system. Not sure what subs you are looking at, (size, location, power), but if you are looking at something bigger that will need to take up cargo space, then I'd be looking for a package deal on Craigslist. You could probably find everything you are looking for and then some, maybe even help to install it for 1/2-1/3 of the price.

i have 2 12s in a ported box, i have a 1000.1 memphis audio mono block amp for them subs....as for the nav, some of the newer radios are coming with that new "waze" app installed.....i can install all my own stuff, been doing it for yrs....just can never figure out the damn bose crap and how to go around it or incorporate it....im honestly just interested in getting my subs and amp installed, already planning the big 3 and possible 2nd battery.....i can run an ipad mini for my music and video so installing an aux cord could substitute the touch screen....so now we are back to needing to run the subs and amp...and if i can get an amp and subs in i could just live with the stock speaker set up

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll just say if you have 2 12s in a ported box, I know you will be boomin. If you want some music to go with that bass (especially since you are doing the rest of the system), IMO you should At least run the numbers for a 4 channel amp, and two pairs of speakers, (1 for each pair of doors). If you already plan on having your electrical upgraded for the subs, then its only the amp and speakers. You could get a small amp for $50 if you don't have one and speakers are $50 a pair for something better than those 20+ yr old bose. You could go a couple hundred on up if you wanted some components up front, then bi-amp with a third amp for rear doors, or smaller wattage in the rear doors and even just a 2 ch amp up front with components. I didn't see if this was in the OBS section, but in the NBS, there's a harness you need to make the bose amp work with an aftermarket head unit. The power specs are just not worth it IMO to keep those 20+ yr old bose speakers.

OP
OP
E

ecoli_23

Reaction score
I'll just say if you have 2 12s in a ported box, I know you will be boomin. If you want some music to go with that bass (especially since you are doing the rest of the system), IMO you should At least run the numbers for a 4 channel amp, and two pairs of speakers, (1 for each pair of doors). If you already plan on having your electrical upgraded for the subs, then its only the amp and speakers. You could get a small amp for $50 if you don't have one and speakers are $50 a pair for something better than those 20+ yr old bose. You could go a couple hundred on up if you wanted some components up front, then bi-amp with a third amp for rear doors, or smaller wattage in the rear doors and even just a 2 ch amp up front with components. I didn't see if this was in the OBS section, but in the NBS, there's a harness you need to make the bose amp work with an aftermarket head unit. The power specs are just not worth it IMO to keep those 20+ yr old bose speakers.

i do have a JBL 250 watt 2 channel (front 2 speakers) i could use for the doors.......i just thought i really like the sound quality that the bose has in my truck now as it utilizes all the speakers....i guess i could get some new speakers and run some wire (fun)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518