Will I regret not getting a 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Razzle1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not that deep. I go to the local spots like Big Bear (which hasn't gotten a lot of snow in recent years), Mammoth (they do a great job clearing the roads), and Lake Tahoe. I've only needed a 4x4 once in the last 18 years or so of going boarding. I'm assuming the manual doesnt recommend chains for my tires due to clearance issues. But has anyone tried using chains on those size tires?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call Jason. Plus the added weight of an SUV over a truck helps. If he got just 2 wheels/tires for snow I’d guess they need to be the same height as his current?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that deep. I go to the local spots like Big Bear (which hasn't gotten a lot of snow in recent years), Mammoth (they do a great job clearing the roads), and Lake Tahoe. I've only needed a 4x4 once in the last 18 years or so of going boarding. I'm assuming the manual doesnt recommend chains for my tires due to clearance issues. But has anyone tried using chains on those size tires?
You must not have gotten up here this season. We had snow up the ting yang this year! And mammoth had quite a bit as well. I made 4 trips from January to April there this year and every time I went there was fresh snow and chain requirements on the roads! Lol
Also keep in mind, it’s state law during winter months and in snow areas that chains be carried in all vehicles. You might run into problems if you take a snow trip and only have 2WD and no tire chains, even if you do have good tires. I’ve never experienced it myself, but I’ve heard a lot of stories about highway patrol and caltrans not allowing 2WD vehicles up the mountain here into big bear during a snowstorm because they didn’t have chains.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I see full size GM trucks and SUVs, with RWD and tire chains on 22 inch wheel and tire setups up here all winter long. So I’m not sure why the manual says you can’t, but those people have done it so that might be the route you have to go if you’re gonna venture into snow. I would agree with the other guys though, get yourself a decent set of tires. Stock bridgestones that come mounted on the 22s are garbage...
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW RIDE!! :chewie:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can use cables/chains that are specifically made for 22's, the problem the manufacture is worried about is clearance

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The last rental we had was 4WD. Didn't really notice any difference until I put it in 4WD H. Damn! It was like it coordinated and balanced the entire suspension allowing it to travel its full range. Maybe a better description is to say it felt more balanced. We're in SoCal and travel on some of the most dangerous, crowded freeways in the world. AWD, ride quality and sheer the MASS of a 6.2 Denali XL is the guardian angel for my family.

I can watch my six when driving, it's the other person I can't control. If the AWD doesn't get us out of trouble during a sketchy avoidance maneuver, mass is on our side.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
I’m in Michigan with a 2wd ppv Tahoe and I’ve never got stuck. Snow tires are god

OP
OP
R

Razzle1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I decided to keep my order for the 2WD and bought my car over the weekend. I still have doubts on whether I made the right decision by not getting the 4WD, but I think I did. Resale value is not a factor where I live. Most of the dealerships in southern California carry 2wd Tahoes. The people here actually prefer 2WD over 4WD. Also, you can't compare 4WD to AWD. You can't use 4WD in regular traffic to maneuver in and out of traffic. The only place I'd be using a 4WD is in the mountains during winter if I go snowboarding, but I can just pop on some cables and get better traction than I would with the 4WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec