Will I regret not getting a 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzle1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I just recently ordered a 2019 Tahoe and customized it to my preference. One thing I did not include in my order is 4WD. I'm not entirely sure why but I just didn't think much about it. I've owned two Tahoes in the past and neither of them were 4WD. I also live in Southern California and don't necessarily "need" it. That being said, I'm buying this car as a family car which I plan on keeping for a long time and taking on many trips. I'm an avid snowboarder and travel to Mammoth and Tahoe at least once a year. Am I really going to regret not getting the 4WD? I'm not sure how effective Tahoe's traction control features are, but I know RWD vehicles aren't the best in slippery conditions. I can always not purchase my order and reorder the same car with the 4WD, but I'm sure my broker will not be happy with me.

Thoughts?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for a family vehicle and being in socal your going to save money and get better mpg with the 2wd, congratulations should be a good truck, just take some chains when heading up the to snow

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^X2 even if you think the roads are going to be bad and get a good set of chains you’re better off the other 364 days with 2wd. No trx case front diff front axles to service. My Dad got 4wd bc our house in Mexico is on the beach but he never needs it. Be sure to post pics.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines 4wd. We’ve had it for 9 years. I’ve probably needed 4wd 3-4 times in that time span all due to large snow accumulation. Unless you’re off road a lot 4wd is not needed unless you or some other driver in your household cannot drive effectively in bad weather imo

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in MI and have used the 4wd only once in the last 2 years, it's nice for resale though. Where you live you will be happy with the 2wd.

Reaction score
Mines 4wd. We’ve had it for 9 years. I’ve probably needed 4wd 3-4 times in that time span all due to large snow accumulation. Unless you’re off road a lot 4wd is not needed unless you or some other driver in your household cannot drive effectively in bad weather imo

Just a couple of situations I can think of...

Backing a camper up a slight grade on a slippery surface.
Pulling a boat up an algae coated boat ramp.
Pulling a utility trailer out of a wet back yard.

Just some of my experiences...

The cost of the 4wd option is minimal considering the cost of our vehicles....
I can't see why you would not order the option. It is useful in may situation including slippery and snowy roads.

Just my 2cents...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I just recently ordered a 2019 Tahoe and customized it to my preference. One thing I did not include in my order is 4WD. I'm not entirely sure why but I just didn't think much about it. I've owned two Tahoes in the past and neither of them were 4WD. I also live in Southern California and don't necessarily "need" it. That being said, I'm buying this car as a family car which I plan on keeping for a long time and taking on many trips. I'm an avid snowboarder and travel to Mammoth and Tahoe at least once a year. Am I really going to regret not getting the 4WD? I'm not sure how effective Tahoe's traction control features are, but I know RWD vehicles aren't the best in slippery conditions. I can always not purchase my order and reorder the same car with the 4WD, but I'm sure my broker will not be happy with me.

Thoughts?
Welcome from another SoCal snowboarder that travels to mammoth and tahoe quite often! While I agree that 4WD is not totally necessarily living in SoCal, I will say this, tire chains suck! My first year living in big bear sucked because we had a crap ton of snow and a Toyota Camry..... being 12 years old and having to get out in the middle of a snowstorm on the side of the highway to help put tire chains on is not fun! So with that in mind I saved up so that my first vehicle I bought would have 4x4. I haven’t put tire chains on since I was about 14 and I don’t miss it. As a professional snowboard instructor that goes to mammoth and tahoe all the time for training camps, not having to stop and waste time on an already long drive to put chains on, on the highway leading in, that 4x4 option is so worth it! I will also agree with @Avalanchediver , boat ramps can be a real pain sometimes when they’re slick. I’ve experienced it many times on many different ramps. No big deal, throw it in 4 wheel and out I went. So worth it to not have to ask for help to get a rear wheel drive vehicle up the ramp! My .02... lol

OP
OP
R

Razzle1980

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Like I said I live in socal so resale value isn't an issue. In fact, most of the inventory with local dealers are all 2wd. I am concerned about one thing I just discovered though. The car I ordered has P285/45R22 size tires. The manual indicates that I cannot use chains on those tires. So I dont know what I can do when I take my car up to the snow. I guess I should've prob ordered 4wd. Any advice?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Like I said I live in socal so resale value isn't an issue. In fact, most of the inventory with local dealers are all 2wd. I am concerned about one thing I just discovered though. The car I ordered has P285/45R22 size tires. The manual indicates that I cannot use chains on those tires. So I dont know what I can do when I take my car up to the snow. I guess I should've prob ordered 4wd. Any advice?
How deep of snow are you expecting? If the tires of good tread on them when you go up to the snowy areas you should be fine. The traction control on these trucks is pretty amazing to where even in snow that's been a foot deep I haven't had to use 4wd as long as the tread on my tires is decent. I'd say you'd be fine until going up a grade on twisty, curvy roads where chains are certainly necessary. At that point, maybe invest in some 17 or 18" wheels and tires specifically for the excursion to the snow spots that you can use with chains if necessary?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu