Will I have to worry about an ABS bleed if I replace the rear brake line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As discovered in my other thread, I need to replace the rear brake line that runs on the driver side frame rail. Is there a high likelihood I'll introduce air into the ABS upon replacing this line?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the M/C full, have new lines ready to connect at one location, work fast. Perhaps read the shop manual. And yes the liklihood of air is high if you havn't already introduced it from improper inspection.
And is there a reason you have to start a new thread for every little mishap?

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the M/C full, have new lines ready to connect at one location, work fast. Perhaps read the shop manual. And yes the liklihood of air is high if you havn't already introduced it from improper inspection.
And is there a reason you have to start a new thread for every little mishap?
Good to know.

As for your question. I do research, but if I encounter something unfamiliar, how else will I learn what I need to?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
You talking about replacing the line that secures to the ABS unit itself?

If you're quick about it, probably not. Keep the master full, gravity will provide some positive pressure in there. do NOT let it run dry. Let it make a mess.

Realistically.... Air in there isn't a big deal. If you don't have a scan-tool, bleed the brakes, take it on some gravel or something, do several hard abs-inducing stops, then bleed it again and you're set.

Regarding multiple threads: Honestly, just make them. Much easier to render help on a discrete topic than a cluster of multiple things and having simultaneous conversations going. We've all been there. Welcome to the fun of learning new skills :)

Logan5

Reaction score
You talking about replacing the line that secures to the ABS unit itself?

If you're quick about it, probably not. Keep the master full, gravity will provide some positive pressure in there. do NOT let it run dry. Let it make a mess.

Realistically.... Air in there isn't a big deal. If you don't have a scan-tool, bleed the brakes, take it on some gravel or something, do several hard abs-inducing stops, then bleed it again and you're set.

Regarding multiple threads: Honestly, just make them. Much easier to render help on a discrete topic than a cluster of multiple things and having simultaneous conversations going. We've all been there. Welcome to the fun of learning new skills :)

The key cycle trick worked for me when I got air into the ABS. No off-roading necessary and single bleeding session instead of 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu