Will a Kenwood or Rockville powered Sub fit inside the Center console? NNBS 07-13

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know what thats for, but i like that there seems to be progress being made towards this

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was at about 1600 yesterday when I finished my other projects and decided to take a swing at this. After realizing that I must pull both front seats to lift the center console out I put the brakes on it again. Maybe on my next set of off-days I’ll revisit this project beginning at 7AM.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a fiberglass front center console enclosure with a 10 inch mtx speaker that came out of my 2013 tahoe available . You will need a amp for this sub woofer . I used a 300 watt amp .

How much you lookimg to get rid of it?

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished the installation. Took about three hours working at my slow pace.

Used an E18 and E14 socket to remove the front seat front nuts and rear bolts. I didn’t actually remove the seats; just lifted them slightly lateral of the mounting points. Then I simply pulled the console back. This part only took about 8 minutes.
b573bd4f1788b880149edb2016189897.jpg

There is plenty of room for the Rockville SS8P. Just note that the closer you place it toward the firewall, the tighter the console gets. I wanted it far enough forward so I could still adjust the screws via the removal console side panel.

The wiring took the longest. I ended up just using the mystery wire connector circuit which was confirmed to be AUX PWR2, a 20-Amp fused circuit that is constantly hot. I decided to use the blue wire on the Rockville harness and connected to an ACC wire located in the panel near the driver left foot.

I pulled the radio and used the solderless quick splice connectors to attach some 22 AWG speaker wire from the radio connector to the Rockville harness for the speaker high level inputs (to the front speakers).

Everything looks clean and is still quite accessible.

ca8b2f85a3d75dafc9dcd4d357149e3a.jpg
c5b9c30ebfb56883a1c5d66219dbe791.jpg
a0a115e4a44e6dbb1c4d4872be48f611.jpg
7f4bef4ab06b3c2fe07c7c7bc8ba8456.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds very good. I had to hit the phase button as there was a slight delay but it sounds fine now. I had to take it out of service to do and oil change and such but I’ll swap it out tomorrow morning to really give it a good test; maybe I’ll hit the brown note.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I want to make sure I have your wiring right...

This is in a NON-BOSE truck right? You used the mystery wire as power for the sub, then tapped the radio for signal. Then you are using a ( random ) ACC wire in that drivers footwell distrubition block as your remote wire ti actually turn it on and off? That sound right?

So on a bose truck, you would do that same thing but the factory high level connections for the sub would be reused for this sub.

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s non-Bose. I could have also tapped into an ACC controlled wire on the radio harness. The “random wire” goes to a cigarette lighter plug circuit for the split bench seat which I do not have. It’s a fused 20A circuit. Seems to provide enough power and I do not hear any line noise.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 12" would fit down there with the right custom work but a box with the necessary cubic space may not. The biggest sub I seen someone fit down there was a Kicker L series 10". I forget the dimensions down there but for guaranteed cubic space, I would focus on maximum 10" sub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505