Wife's whip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
tmcdrwww

tmcdrwww

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Denali Grille
Corsa Touring exhaust
Black mirror caps
Wrap chrome trim black
Bb Tuning
Amp power steps
Brembos

Don't forget about the brakes.

So this is the second mention of brakes, are these notorious for having issues? Or are they just underpowered for our applications?
Rotors, Calipers or the full monty?

Luckily, she isn't as heavy footed as I am... So unless there are known failures I will put it on the stage 2 list... Of course things are subject to change if she starts signing up for track days.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issues with my stock brakes; however, these beasts run ~5800 lbs., and they are a load to stop quickly under any circumstances. Larger brakes or better quality brake pads and rotors will stop these beasts quicker and in shorter distances, when circumstances require.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the trucks. I have a 15 Yukon Denali myself and love it. Minimal upgrades such as factory CarPlay, retractable running boards, 22” wheels, led lights all around and changed emblem color to black.

congrats on the baby! I’m also a new first time dad. My daughters 9 months and I know damn well my upgrades/spare time has plummeted since lol. Good luck to you. I hope you still find time to turn wrenches

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the trucks. I have a 15 Yukon Denali myself and love it. Minimal upgrades such as factory CarPlay, retractable running boards, 22” wheels, led lights all around and changed emblem color to black.

congrats on the baby! I’m also a new first time dad. My daughters 9 months and I know damn well my upgrades/spare time has plummeted since lol. Good luck to you. I hope you still find time to turn wrenches

Yes, after the first child, my frequency of installing mods took a hit for about 20 years. Still did some mods, but the scope and time allocated for each mod was substantially reduced, or I was in BIG trouble with she who must be obeyed.

OP
OP
tmcdrwww

tmcdrwww

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have no issues with my stock brakes; however, these beasts run ~5800 lbs., and they are a load to stop quickly under any circumstances. Larger brakes or better quality brake pads and rotors will stop these beasts quicker and in shorter distances, when circumstances require.

My truck sits at 8500lbs and I pull a 44' toy hauler loaded down at 18.5k... I agree on the importance of good brakes!! I will look into upgrades for the Yukon!

Congrats on the baby girl! I love my hobbies so I am hoping to get all this done before we feel the "Impacts" of the new roommate in the coming months..

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, after the first child, my frequency of installing mods took a hit for about 20 years. Still did some mods, but the scope and time allocated for each mod was substantially reduced, or I was in BIG trouble with she who must be obeyed.

my free time is like 5am- 730am. That’s if I even feel like getting up early. Luckily daughters a good sleeper. For now.

my financial advisor also must be obeyed :laughing1:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is the second mention of brakes, are these notorious for having issues? Or are they just underpowered for our applications?
Rotors, Calipers or the full monty?

Luckily, she isn't as heavy footed as I am... So unless there are known failures I will put it on the stage 2 list... Of course things are subject to change if she starts signing up for track days.
If you are a bit heavy with your right foot (like I am) you will benefit from upgraded brakes. I'd get the best you are comfortable spending the money for. My old Denali went through it's first set of front pads and rotors in 20000 miles, my current Denali has the GM/Brembo fronts and I have 23000 miles and they are worn, but not quite shot yet. I should have upgraded further and may still do that.

OP
OP
tmcdrwww

tmcdrwww

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are a bit heavy with your right foot (like I am) you will benefit from upgraded brakes. I'd get the best you are comfortable spending the money for. My old Denali went through it's first set of front pads and rotors in 20000 miles, my current Denali has the GM/Brembo fronts and I have 23000 miles and they are worn, but not quite shot yet. I should have upgraded further and may still do that.

That seems very fast to go through pads that quickly. Are you choosing performance pads with a softer compound or do you constantly drive in stop & go traffic? I've had many vehicles go well into the 50-60k range on pads and still have life to give.

On a different note... I technically did my first upgrade yesterday....

FREE TAILLIGHTS!

Not exactly free.. but a dealer warrantied item at zero cost to me. We noticed the drivers tail light died out and after a bit of reading it came about that GM has an active recall for ALL 15-16' w/ less than 72k miles. You'll get some shiny new ones if yours have issues. Also, if you've replaced them in the past you can submit paperwork for reimbursement.

I was glad to stumble on this because I didn't want to throw down $600 for a new set!

EZ Money

Reaction score
We are running a 24" wheels with a 305 tire on a 2/4 MaxTrack drop. Rides great.

IMG_0736.jpg Tahoe.jpg