Wife hates my new 2006 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still safer than any car or little SUV. Well, Buick Terraza's had all those airbags if memory serves, dirt cheap to buy and get good mileage and while narrower, the 3rd row is larger than our big trucks. Tom on here was t-***** in his new to him Yukon Denali a few years ago. He went right out and bought another one, an XL this time. Which does she want first, a 3 rows of airbags or a new house?
April 2019 was the worst day of our life. I have driven in bad weather all of my life and much worse conditions but on this day the back end of our 2010 Yukon slipped and hurled us into a ditch. My wife still suffers from a traumatic brain injury still. It has not been easy. I wish she could see that this vehicle will be safe but in the end I guess I just need to do what is right for her.ce1471f751d951f0d69675d5673213b7.jpgee6f7146117488766c061721167fabfe.jpgfb69a7c2f30489043f739fac7fcbc9bb.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I dun screwed up. I wanted an 06 Denali. Even if I replace the parts to make the steering nice and tight she now advises that because It does not have side airbags for the second and third Row, her and the kids will not be riding in it. I doubt she will be changing her mind.

So, I will have to sell it at some point. I still have to determine why the service Ride soon light is on. I can hear the pump so what else would I need to check?

Thanks everyone for all of your responses.

Check the wire harnesses going into the tops of the rear shocks. They could be loose or unplugged. Also look at the ride height sensors. They are attached to the rear shocks and the body of the truck. I believe if there’s a ride height sensor damaged it could trigger the warning.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
April 2019 was the worst day of our life. I have driven in bad weather all of my life and much worse conditions but on this day the back end of our 2010 Yukon slipped and hurled us into a ditch. My wife still suffers from a traumatic brain injury still. It has not been easy. I wish she could see that this vehicle will be safe but in the end I guess I just need to do what is right for her.ce1471f751d951f0d69675d5673213b7.jpgee6f7146117488766c061721167fabfe.jpgfb69a7c2f30489043f739fac7fcbc9bb.jpg

I have to agree with @Joseph Garcia on this. From the sounds of what you are sharing, you are better off getting a vehicle she is comfortable in. My wife and I were in a terrible accident back in 2001 where I was ejected from the truck after the seat belt broke. 18-1/2 years later, she is still affected by it. The truck we were in was a 1999 Gray Silverado. When looking for different vehicles since then, she couldn’t bring herself to even consider having a gray vehicle for about 15 years. That fear that she has is real and I’m afraid you will be fighting a losing battle trying to get her to “understand” or “rationalize”.

heftylefty58

Reaction score
FWIW: if I were in the op’s situation, I would not attempt any more changes to the car, and just look for something more stable for the family, and less traumatizing for his wife. To me, this is more important than a nicer house.

With that being said, I have a 2003 YD with ~105k miles, and have gradually begun dreading driving it due to its instability on freeways. The bouncing and swaying is something that I had assumed was just part of owning an SUV, and maybe I’m just getting more agitated as my reflexes/reaction time/driving skills wane with age.

Well, a few months ago, I had my shocks replaced with these: Monroe 90012. ~$120 shipped from rockauto. My primary motivation was actually to disable my air shocks because I noticed they occasionally didn’t seem to shut off (as if the bladder had a leak).

With my new shocks, I am in incredibly surprised with the apparent handling improvement! The vehicle obviously still has more vertical travel than a typical sedan, but at least it no longer twists left and right when taking turns/changing lanes on the freeways. It actually stays true to my steering wheel position, if that makes any sense. (I’ve never replaced my idler/pitman/intermediate steering shaft...yet.)

just thought I’d share my pleasant surprise. We’ll see how it handles this winter, though. I won’t be 100% convinced with the handling improvements until I make the annual trip to the mountains.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW: if I were in the op’s situation, I would not attempt any more changes to the car, and just look for something more stable for the family, and less traumatizing for his wife. To me, this is more important than a nicer house.

With that being said, I have a 2003 YD with ~105k miles, and have gradually begun dreading driving it due to its instability on freeways. The bouncing and swaying is something that I had assumed was just part of owning an SUV, and maybe I’m just getting more agitated as my reflexes/reaction time/driving skills wane with age.

Well, a few months ago, I had my shocks replaced with these: Monroe 90012. ~$120 shipped from rockauto. My primary motivation was actually to disable my air shocks because I noticed they occasionally didn’t seem to shut off (as if the bladder had a leak).

With my new shocks, I am in incredibly surprised with the apparent handling improvement! The vehicle obviously still has more vertical travel than a typical sedan, but at least it no longer twists left and right when taking turns/changing lanes on the freeways. It actually stays true to my steering wheel position, if that makes any sense. (I’ve never replaced my idler/pitman/intermediate steering shaft...yet.)

just thought I’d share my pleasant surprise. We’ll see how it handles this winter, though. I won’t be 100% convinced with the handling improvements until I make the annual trip to the mountains.
That does make sense. I had new air shocks put on before I even drive it so I can't even compare anything with the old ones. If I did not fork out the cash for those I would convert them all over and see what happens.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that exact same truck, same color & everything. 198,000 miles. Not one problem like you described, except a water leak after a windshield replacement. I did the air compressor 2 times, and the rear shocks with OEM shocks. I don't remember doing the front shocks.

Swaggerwagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife also makes decisions based on emotion. Applying logic and data doesn’t work here.
If alimony + child support cost $2500/month, and a truck payment costs 400-500/month...you know what to do.
All your older friends told you not to get married, and you did anyway

MainelyScott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago (the hard way) if you're buying a car for the wife you'd better take her with you and let her do the test driving. You can help negotiate the price, but if its going to be her daily driver, better make sure its her choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11