Why the Red Light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 XL. Once-in-a-while I'll be driving, everything acts normal, and I'll see the N (red light) is on !?!?! If I stop and restart, it's off. Happened twice now.

Attachments

• red.png
    red.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 1

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this first (pulled from another forum):

"I read more and saw a guy fix his same issue which was caused by a faulty ground connection to the frame that is under the driver side door towards the wheel well. I had a corroded wire connection there, so replaced the ring connector with a weather proof one, wire wheeled the frame and bolt to bare metal, reinstalled the connection, then sprayed the bare metal with paint primer and problem solved."

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could be one of a few issues. The most likely are the ground issue mentioned earlier, the encoder ring in the encoder motor, or the dash switch. Not necessarily in that order.

Like @Sam Harris's fix, mine was the encoder motor. You can replace only the internal encoder ring or replace the whole motor.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy had this flashing issue... he ignored it for months. Then one day it decided to try going into low at highway speed. He said it made the typical movie gear gring noise like someone who cant drive a manual. Then bang, the truck jumped and slid and all sorts of stuff. He called me and asked if i could bring the trailer to tow it to his place.
New front and rear driveshafts, tcase adapter, tcase and pair of underwear and he was back on the road.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had my tahoe do this the other day. i stopped put it in neutral and hit the 2wd button, and all is good so far.

OP
OP
SnowBuck

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garage said grounds were a corroded mess. Disconnected and cleaned all grounds, new ends and washers. We'll see.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Garage said grounds were a corroded mess. Disconnected and cleaned all grounds, new ends and washers. We'll see.

Great, hope that was it!

If they read the 4wd codes before working on it, would you post them? Also, if the issue continues, we'd love to see what codes, if any, are in the 4wd system. Have to use more than a simple code reader, something that will read the 4wd codes (like a Tech 2).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts